D.I.Y. Completion Confessions List , made public

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To finish:

2-1176 in a case....only knobs to buy and some painting, no engraving. (march 09)
2-SSL9K: they need a rack and psu. (mid march 09)
2-S800: case, design a front panel.  (april 09)
2-Mono Pico.    (May 09)
1- Hybrid 1176. (july 09)

To start:
2 Greens. (april 09)
2 Pulteq.  (august 09)
2 Twin Jensen style pre's (september 09)

"Bring me two of everything!"

- Homer Simpson

I got it bad.

http://www.users.on.net/~alexc/res/diy.jpg
http://www.users.on.net/~alexc/res/car4.jpg

I've completed

- 1x dual 1272
- 2x dual stereo gSSLs
- 2x discrete 1272-pultec-1176-G
- 1x tube and discrete 312-pultec-1176-G
- 1x fender style pre with la2a
- 1x dual 1176-G
- Fender Telecaster Thinline
- Fender Jazzbass

and finishing (expected end date Sept 09)

- 1x poorman
- 1x dual LA2A
- 1xg9
- 1xFender Super Reverb Blackface
- 1x dual reamp, dual fet DI, dual 990 DI

and starting

- 32 input Lawo summer with Lawo faders
- Bassman Blonde + Brown Twin dual preamp with harmonic tremolo

and piling up parts for another dozen or so, all of them classics.

And the kicker is I just finished having a '80 450SL refurbed.

I mean - am I a glutton for punishment, or what?

What's *wrong* with me? I wonder if Dr Phil could help.

There definately needs to be a DIYA support group. To help cure
sufferers of DIY Classics Obsessive Behaviour Syndrome (DIYCOBS)

Could be worse. I could be an alcoholic, philandering, gambler  ::)

And there I guess is the reason.

It keeps me out of trouble!

This is a cool idea.

Tweed Deluxe - Waiting for parts and cash for a Celestion Blue, Got a cab.  Hoping to complete within the month.

2 x MK7 mics.  Got the PCB/Trafo kits and two Dale M7s, still pondering bodies. ( ;D)
Hoping to complete by the summer.

Got four greens needing a better case, two JLM 99vs needing a new PS, DIY La2a needing rebuild, 1176 needing troubleshot, PCB's for DAOC, PM, 33609.  Got two Orange 47 coming to add to the list.  No timescale for any of this

Damn it hurts to see it in B and W ::)

A very large project. Official answer to completion date: "six months from whenever you ask me". Unofficial answer: The beginning of June. I have been working on it for over a year. It's eight channels of everything. Pico, Sontec, DAOC, BPEQ, line amps and some other stuff. It's coming along nicely. Got the monitor controller done this weekend.

* 8 channel s800
  Killed a pot, need a new one, got most of the parts, hate the idea of stuffing a big project in such a small box :(
  End of February.
* GSSL with Turbo, relay switch logic to mono SC with SSC, Crush'N'Blend. Mostly finished, mid of March.
* PM 670, need switches and XLR holes in the back, wiring. Mid of March.
* 33609, not working very well for me, June/July.
* Dual LA2A, not started, just got the PCB and the T4B's, June/July.
* 1176, board stuffed, possibly April.
* Second PM 670, August.

In the pipeline: stereo Pico with A/R when available, Orange 86 when available.

alexc said:
"Bring me two of everything!"
I have that two. I mean to. It's 2, 4 or 8 for me. Is there a diagnosis for this?

alexc said:
- 32 input Lawo summer with Lawo faders
Have you made any plans for panning? I happen to have the same (Allthough smaller) project on my backburner.  I have been pondering if I could use two faders for each fader + pan, i.e: Use the input unchanged, and somehow use outputs from two faders and pan between them. I could then use the extra input for something completely different.

Sorry for the off topic

yes completely off topic please take to PM
as i need to keep people accountable , now
what's your next project finishing when ?

2 channel What from Fabio, should be finished, but not engraved, by the end of the week.

Very very transparent.. how do I make it less transparent?!?

And remember, it's ok to say anything at all as long as the post ends with "Sorry for being off topic" :D ;D like they say in Texas: it's ok to speak ill of people as long as the sentence ends with "God bless'im"

Pucho , we won't shame you
just mention the one project you want , or are most likely to finish
and a reasonable date that you believe that can happen by
let the grp do the rest

herjan  , still not alright you dilute the thread and distract people
from their impotant task at hand , please help them feel better
about getting d.i.y. Done

The Greg Has spoken  , gotta get to work

I can't begin to consider this list.  Every time some time appears, I am asked to restore or build some custom thing for pay.  Thus, my own stuff is always on the back burner.  

But, immediately related to this forum I have:

a pair of Drip LA-2A's that only lack case machining and final wiring
a PM670 stuffed and all parts sourced, but lack case machining and final wiring
a pair of 500 series mid pultecs lacking faceplates and pots
a pair of 1176 rev. D's with almost nothing sourced
I won't even get into non-forum projects.  

in front of those are:

three Gates SA-39's that are for customers.  -2 of 3 DONE
A Collins 26U restoration and modification for a customer.  -DONE
A Collins preamp restoration for a customer. -DONE
An Ampeg guitar amp for a customer.

and a pretty long list of peoples records I should be finishing.   4 album mixes at the moment, several others in tracking.  

think the wife still lives at our house.  Not sure sometimes.  

Emrr , just pick one
give it twice as much time as you think it'll take
, then just fill in the gaps as they come .

Unless you like the copout vibe  ,

I see where you're going here, and applaud it, but I'm not biting.

I have picked; the paying customers get 1st dibs.  They finance everything else.  The 26U and two of the SA-39's get paid/bought the very second I finish them. 

I can't paint anything until warm weather, so all I can do on the LA-2 and PM670 is machine cases.  I don't see any break in studio work until late April, so that's the earliest they will be considered.  I gave up on non-essential scheduling a long time ago; I've had 7 deaths interrupt my schedule in the last year and a half!  Now I am starting to look for new studio space and housing, due to possibility of lost studio lease. 

I might have to ask you to leave the thread ,
of course you can plead hardship

I often get sidetracked on things that will use up parts or
clean up more room by using up bigger parts  [ cases ]

Was tempted to wire jumper snake for that very reason
but i'm drilling the chasis holes in my NEQ instead
as the next item in the flowchart

Eee, compiling a list would be a project of its own !  8)

... but always better to have a pile of unfinished DIY than a pile of unfinished song-ideas, so I don't feel too bad about it.

okgb said:
I might have to ask you to leave the thread
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

yeah, I should have never posted!  requests to delete my posts shall be honored.

*Two ioaudio MK7's (timing depends on the U47 body that's being designed in the lab, but due to time/money limits it won't be anywhere before May I'm afraid)

*Working on another ssl clone with external sc input which will be finished before the end of the week.

*Got a couple 990's for a soundcraft mixbus upgrade project on my bench but they won't work  :(

*I have to pimp my calrec eq, get a nice front panel, good pots, some troubleshooting (this is something for the summer)

*Want to build a point to point valve preamp/pultec-like passive eq (maybe when I get that calrec done)

*In between I'll probably do two 1176's Rev A  and I must get started on a dual 1073 before the year ends...

anyway, I'd be happy if I get anywhere NEAR half of this list

So what exactly is the point of this thread ???

Are you making an agenda so you can confront everybody that we haven't even started the project we planned by then ?
Or are you gonna calculate the actual costs per month everybody spends on diy ?

;D ;D ;D

I can't believe the timing of this thread! After making my pair of G7s....lemme see....4 years ago,  I've been looking at the raw materials for another pair that has been sitting in the corner of my shop. Every time I think about the pain in the ass it was to build these mic bodies I shy away from going through the process again. But today, I had a lull at work and I picked up the bag of brass tubes and mesh and said "oh what the hell!" So I started another pair of G7s this afternoon and I hope to have them done by August. This thread is a great idea Greg, I might need the motivation of a group ass kicking to get these done ::)
Here's a pic of the first two G7s I made: ;D
Cheers,
Freddy
G7s.jpg

Latest posts

Back