D.I.Y. Completion Confessions List , made public

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freddy G said:
G7s.jpg

Fûçk off.

I hate you.

ba$tard.

dîp$hìt.

Those thigs are worthless. PLEASE don't tell me you're making more...

-Tell you what... -I'll take them from you!

Keith

I have the following:

2 x GSSL with turbo ready to rack - by end of March 09
1 x dual channel SSL9K finished (2006 build) and in use but needs front panel - working on getting a panel?
1 x dual channel Fabio 312 finished working (2006/7 build) but also need front panel - working on getting a panel?
1 x G1176 mnats, ready to wire up and rack - by April 09
1 x Rev D 1176 also ready to wire up and rack - by April 09

4 x S800 haven't started, not going to touch these boards until all others are bolted in the rack!

Keith , you disappoint me , as a moderator
you'd think you know better , now in the spirit of the thread
[ putting dates to project completions ]
i give you to the end of the day to piss off [ and stop watering down the thread ]

Clint  , you don't have to make a list , just pick the item
you most want to or are mostly likely to [ maybe because
it's farthest along ] and set a reasonable time frame
don't be afraid .

Another point is to put any and all concentration on the one top 'o' the list item
carefull not to get distracted [ shiny things do it for me ]

i drilled the chasis holes and striped & tinned a bunch of wire for my
NEQ today , man the guy who made those cases couldn't done me a favor
by lining up the pot holes with the pcb !

I finally finished every project and circuit board I have the other day. No loose ends at all. Now I'm going thru withdrawal...

Next up a pair of 1272 preamps. Haven't started on them yet. Or know anything about them. Next week I'm gonna search the forum and start soaking up the info. I figure will be in use the end of May. Hopefully!

Too much vagueness in this thread.

In the full spirit of accountability, I've edited my original post with actual dates.
Thanks Greg for holding us to the fire. If anyone else cares to add dates, I will join Greg in hounding your ass as your due date approaches.  :)

OK, I said "end of this week" for my D-AOC and it's almost done !!  :)

Just need to wire the stereo/mono switch and the traffo's and pwr indicator.
Will be tested and running tomorrow ...... yipee !!!

MM.

109114680.jpg

109114715.jpg

109114756.jpg

Hmmmm, I hate to give deadlines to myself.... Especially since I'm awful in planning, and I always underestimate how much time things take..... Well, here I go... :

GSSL : Adding the turboboard and complete the housing. (well, complete.... the frontpanel will have to wait for a long time). End of next week.
SSL console part 1 : re-configuring the middle part of the console. Rewire the subgroups, aux masters and Independant Main Outputs, fitting and wiring the FX returns, talkback.  -End of March (If the parts arrive in time).
SSL console part 2 : building a new keyboard for the DAW.-  April.
SSL console part 3 : Re-building the DAWcontrol. (also depending on availability of parts) - June.
SSL Console part 4 : fixing the plasmametering of the console (I can't get it work). - April
SSL console part 5 : re-building/reconfiguring the VCA/midi Automation (if it's possible what I have in mind).
SSL console part 6 : acquiring the remaining parts that I need for the Instant Reset and routing automation. Maybe also the Instant Reset computer with midi-interface. - Hopefully before the end of summer '09

I also want to finish my dual G1176, but I'm still waiting for Purusha's case, so I can't give an estimate of time for it.

upcoming projects :
Volker's Dla2a, starting  approx. aug '09 if I have enough money to start it.

Now... Let's see, haha.

And .... Good luck to everybody here with your projects  !

MartyMarts this weeks big Winner , way to go

I fitted the pieces and stripped a bunch of wire but then
got stopped at the making the zero point of the gain controls zero
on my NEQ  , so i finished the drum sub snake , relaced transistors
in one of my acmp 81 [ i hate to even say their name ] and made
a Dorsey reamp box .

i'll check everybody up later

Complete my quartet of RCA BA21, see thread in the "drawing board" section...
And now for the commitment..... Feb 28th of THIS year! :)
I got a gig to record in a church, organ, soprano and a baryton or tenor, can't remember now, on that date!
And will not use it if it hasn't worked for at least 3-4 days, right now the chassis well underway, but I have issues with the power supply section!!

Complete the DISA preamp, again another thread on the drawing board, and build at least a 2 channel proto. Probably with EDCORs for in/out transformers...
Set a date... hmmmmm  Say March 29th or so....

(How stupid I feel now  :-\ )

My list of partial completions of existing projects.

GSSL - bought the parts for this in December 2007??!?!

boards are stuffed, just need to do the machining on the case, mount everything, and engrave the front panel. dxf and g-code for the front panel is already done.

Target date: April 15, 2009

MILA - debugging noise

circuit is done and already in a 2U rack. I've eliminated about 90% of the noise but it is still not acceptable. Adding some shielded wires, but if that doesn't work, will likely pull the whole thing out of the case and design a brand new layout.

Target date: May 15, 2009 if shielding works, September 15, 2009 if I need to put it in a new case.

Royer mod'ed MXL2001 mic - have all the parts except for the transformer for the mic. Working on this with a friend who was supposed to take care of the mic part. He hasn't done anything on it. I've got the PSU board all done (turrets mounted on G10), need to put in a case, mount I/O, make the cable (5 pin XLR)

Target date: June 15, 2009

S800 - have all the parts except for the PSU. Purchased most of this in Oct 08 maybe

haven't done a damn thing with this, most of the parts are still sitting at a friend's house. Lots of machining to do on this, so that will complicate things. Not sure if I'll do an engraving or laser-cut the front panel.

Target date: December 15th, 2009

I'll probably add some other groupdiy projects once I finishes these.

Design Projects:

1) Finish designing low power (< 1 Watt) all-tube guitar amplifier in small (9" X 5") form factor.

Progress: test bed built, basic design functioning, need to reduce noise a bit, tweak circuit to optimize tone.

To do: work out layout to fit in small chassis, do machining, wire up, make case

Target date: Finalize circuit May 15, 2009, make actual amp August 15, 2009.

2) Finish tweaking of standalone high gain guitar preamp for 1U rack

Progress: Initial circuit design 95% complete.

To do: convert layout to fit in 1U rack, do new layout to minimize noise

Target date: stuff this preamp into a rack by October 15, 2009.

3) Work on design of clean guitar preamp.

Progress: have the parts, have a 2W standalone power amp to feed it into.

To do: need to whip up new test bed (mostly drilling holes), mount tube sockets, tweak circuit

Target date: July 15, 2009.

I have a bunch of other stuff I'm working on as well, but it is mostly lower priority stuff. I'll be shocked if I finish half of what I outlined here. Just don't have the time.

Mason

Alright i'm 98% done with my dual 1176....channel 1 transformer in and out...channel 2 IC in and transformer out....
NExt to finish my FetSonics missing a decent PSU.

Then to rack my SSL 9k...and then racking my 4 S800...

This without taking into account the 500 preamp on the works + a LA## rework... ;D

3 days is pretty good i'd say
3nty you need to put dates on it for accountability

I'll reasess mine today

Sometimes it's ; what do i need to use next
                      what am i closest to finishing
                      what will bring money in soonest
                      what will clean up the area most by completing

FreddyG, those are some nice looking mics.. Sorry to highjack, but where did you find the tubing for the bodies? I havent' seen tubing with a closed end like that. Please PM me so I don't totally derail the thread... appreciate it!

Thanks Greg,
My completion date is August of this year :-[
Seems like a long time but I am being realistic.
Oh by the way I logged on to CBC radio yesterday and was glad to see your name credited as recording engineer for something at the Winnipeg festival..... can't remember who it was but Bela Fleck was on banjo and it sounded great!

Mitsos,
The material is just 2" OD brass rail tube with 0.050" thick walls. It does not come "rounded". Take a look in the photo, the one to the right just came from being cut on a table saw (yeah, I know....scary cutting this shit with a table saw so don't try it unless you really know what you're doing). I do it this way to get straight, clean cuts ( i made jigs to hold the tube and keep everything square and repeatable). See the two tines or "fingers"? I cut them to length and then hammer them into a radius over an anvil and then silver solder the joint together at the top centre.
Cheers ;D
Freddy

PS. I just cut the waste part off the 2nd mic and uploaded a photo to give you a clearer image.

G7ruffcut.jpg

Latest posts

Back