How can i split a Signal without changing the main signal any way.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotbaby

Hey,

I want to patch my vocal-Chain so, that i  have the chain signal splitted in two ways. at the end i need it to have the main signal for HD-Rec and the splitted Signal on channel2 for Latency free Monititoring.
Usually Compressors have a second Monitor out. but mine one doesnt have it... BUT a outside "split"box would be more flexible and anyway better solution.

Is there a way without destroing or changing the "holy" main Signal? Perhaps a greate DIY box?

Thank you very much for ideas.
nppaiq6.jpg

simple low capacity differential high-frequency probe
connected to line does not change nothing for primary (main)
signal.
this:
http://www.valuetronics.com/Details.aspx?Model=Philips_PM8943&ProdID=10318
can work also with phantom on.

sodderboy said:
A patchbay mult or splitter cable should be fine
Mike

I was going to say that when I got a warning message to review my post as someone responded before mine.

Now I am curious how many times one could mult a line level signal?

hotbaby said:
sure that it doesnt half the signalpower ???

We're dealing with Voltage amps with modern gear, and no, your signal level is unlikely to halve unless you load down your source.

pucho812 said:
Now I am curious how many times one could mult a line level signal?

Depends on source impedance, source current-drive capability, and the resultant load of the destinations in parallel.

Something this simple does not need isolation. Plus, tcw is transparent where iron imparts an additional character.  If we were splitting for different rooms over long distances the answer would be different. Every bay should have a couple mults, polarity reversers, and really cool bays have patchable iso transformers and 2:1 passive combiners.
Mike
EDIT I think you can go up to a 13 way mult in a bridging circuit before level is seriously affected.  That is my memory of an experiment using SSL 4K line inputs.  If you need more, that's what groups are for.
And the new picture looks like there is an external splitter.  If it is to Dsubs you can make the mult right on a Dsub, or plain connectors get a straight wire across each of the three contacts.

yes im using d-sub. the patchbay doesnt offer multing the poles. i can mult the grounds but the pols i think are unmultable :) i think i will do your bridge idea with cables.... but the transformer idea looks very tasty.
But cant effect a bridge to the headphone amp section noise to the holy originalsignal anyway? cause its connected with it directly....

Dude... MAKE a mult-wired D-sub and plug it in.

Voila! -Mults. -Make as many as you want/need.

Signal POWER is not an issue... Most modern gear uses bridging impedances... -no worries.

Keith

Sarcastic Sound said:
you can split line level signal all day long and no person or piece of gear will know the difference

There are conditions here.

An LA-2a is an example of a 600Ω impedance bit of gear which may very well notice if you mult it with other like-minded bits of gear...

But MOST stuff (basically anything without an input/output transformer is almost guaranteed not to notice) will be just fine.

Keith

i will have a LA-2a in one chain.
i recognized that the multed second cable must be cared very carefully cause any noise i will do on the coupled monitor cable will feed back to the voxchain main signal...
readed so many times i should mult but i feel not very well with it. perhaps a isolated way would be more professional for my use. the monitor signal goes in the cue mixer, the main signal direct in protools.... im must try out how often it will bother my recordings.

hotbaby said:
i recognized that the multed second cable must be cared very carefully cause any noise i will do on the coupled monitor cable will feed back to the voxchain main signal...
This doesn't make sense to me... "noise"? -Where is that coming from???

Keith

its dependend on the second cable wich is linked to the main cable. if i patch the second cable  (mon) whyle recording there will be a feedback klick to the main signal. but i must try if my mixer (where the splitted mon cable goes in) does the noise. i have a very high frequenced low gain beep... id suggest between 2000 and 3000hz...
but i did some changes in my studio. must not be the mic cable.. today  will try a powerfilter to isulate my pc...

hotbaby said:
if i patch the second cable  (mon) whyle recording there will be a feedback klick to the main signal.
Then the answer is blindingly simple: -DON'T patch while you're recording.

NO professional in the world would EVER dream of doing such a thing, and -if you're considering making immediate changes to the sound- why are you recording it?

hotbaby said:
i have a very high frequenced low gain beep... id suggest between 2000 and 3000hz...
You have other problems. They must be addressed first.

To stick to the subject; Professionals and amateurs a like the whole world over simply mult the signal, often even paying scant attention to things like the number of 600Ω devices which they are parallel-terminating. This works perfectly well, and there is no compelling reason to investigate anything different.

If you're inducing 2-3kHz noise, you have other problems.

Keith

Keith, thank you very much for persuading me. I soldered a y bridge to the patchbox and it works fine. I got a new system and was 2 month in rebuilding and soldering process. Finished the most work yesterday include the patchbay and bridges. I soldered all my d-sub 25 cable myself  :D puhhh. Im so happy im done with it ;D ;D The high frequenced noise came from the computer like in the past system but i could kill it very easy with a powerfilter trough pc and powerjack. Now i have a killer system with 4x 26wire sommer cables for input and output to aurora 16 and rme aes 32. no mess anymore... and no sorrows with my two fireface 800 which made a lot of problems.
i think i will second mult one of my mix out to a nice db meter.
Many thanks again for your help

Aaron

Back