In case you wanted to see how the new studio is coming along..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks nice.
But i am wondering why you located the batchbays at the top of the racks ?
I always do them at the bottom because otherwise the cables hang in front of the
rack gear located below the patchbays.

Flo

nice place. you did good light work but in the racks are to big holes!!! you need to do more diy stuff for stuffing it :)

Svart said:
nah I like the brickwork!  It has an interesting sound too.  Not too dead, not too live.

Looks like topargex ??

Don't paint the bricks !!

There's a gigantic different in sound, these bricks really do absorb alot, the studio I work in needed no diffusion at all thanks to topargex bricks.

Yes, we call them "cinderblocks" here but it's the same thing.  They do sound good surprisingly.  Most of the sound control is movable gobos on wheels and acoustic panels on mic stands so I can create all kinds of acoustic areas within the rooms.

Great potential.  A splash of color with lighting or textiles will add to the vibe.  The owner of a little room I wired wanted to use some colored CFC bulbs behind racks and stuff.  We tested for proximity effects and hash back on the power line and he was clean.
The moving treatments are a good idea. 

Got a dehumidifier?
Mike 

The rooms are connected to the main AC system through silencers.  Dehumidifier is integral..  ;D

I might line the back wall in the control room with colored panels but I'm digging the raw look too.  I wanted a hybrid between industrial and modern. 

Once I get the back of the room cleaned up and trimmed I'll have more pictures showing some more class.

The walls are a dark gray, the trim is all flat black and the wood floor stops about 2/3rds back and turns into a brown shag carpeted nook type area with green walls and a low black couch with silver legs.

That's a really nice looking room man.
Definitely consider moving your mix position away from that wall if you can, or at the least rotate into the corner a little bit and put broadband absorbers at the first reflection points and around the room where the wall meets the ceiling at a 45 degree angle.  Just looking at your pics, and the way your are setup, your bass response is going to be way out of control bro.  You've got alot of really nice stuff in there and it pains me to think of the issues you're going to have to fight through if you don't treat that room more.  Those traps over by the drums aren't going to be nearly enough for a room this size with what appears to be a wood floor and some throw rugs?

I hope I'm not telling you stuff you already know :) but if you haven't done it in the past, definitely head over to the RealTraps site and read Ethan Winers primer on room treatment, starting with this one:
http://www.realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm
then back it up and read all the articles if you have the time, there is really great info in there.  Ethan is a cool dude.
http://www.realtraps.com/articles.htm

and if you decide to build yourself some broadband absorbers down the road http://sensiblesoundsolutions.com/ has all the stuff you'll need to make some.  They got OC703 & 705 as well as Guildford of Maine cloth in which to cover your traps.  A couple years back I built nine 2' x 4' traps for about 150$ in cloth and mineral wool and another 25$ in wood, screws, and wire to hang them with.
Again, I don't know what you know and I hope I'm not telling you stuff that "everbody knows that"!  But if you want some help arranging the room I know a little bit about how to accomplish that.  I think I can help you.

Thanks for the ideas, BUT..

I have to tell you a little more about the room though.

I'm already a regular over at John Sayer's forums and have been for a couple years.

The mix room is actually much wider than it is long.  My mix position is 33% into the room from the wall (the optimum position for monitoring regardless of wall treatment) and the rear of the room(which I don't have in any pictures yet) is designed to be fairly dead at the mix position.  The nodes and reflection points are nowhere close to the mix position by design, not by absorption..  ;D

Those "white" absorption panels are from GIK acoustics which is just down the road from me.  I got a lot of help from them!

The red panel in the corner is actually a huge bass trap behind the red burlap which I built.

The black panels above the drums are 4" thick mineral wool absorbers packed tightly (for low mids) which I also built.

The ceiling in the entire room is actually 12" thick with two layers of tightly packed R30 fiberglass.

The black area of the ceiling in the mix room is 8" tightly packed with two layers of R30.

The cloud above the console is also 4" thick mineral wool too.

The floors in the tracking room are stone, not wood.  I finished them with brown stain and clear sealer.  Took forever but it looks great!

the floors in the mix room are laminate.

I designed and built the whole deal. I erected the walls in a dual leaf design with 2x5/8 drywall/2x4s with fiberglass/2 inches of dead space/2x4s with fiberglass/2x5/8 drywall.  All joints are sealed with silicone caulk.

The door to the tracking room(which you don't see) is 3 inches thick and filled with 225lbs of sand.  It works pretty good.  The outer door is 2" thick solid MDF, again extremely heavy.  Both use silicone seals.

None of the walls in the tracking or mix rooms are parallel.

Overall I'm getting the best sounding tracks I've ever done, better than I've done/heard in some other studios or venues.

I play drums and track drums a bunch so I've tuned the room for recording drums.

Svart, very nice!  I never did get around to getting in touch when you were still building it.  Is the invite still open to check it out in person?

-Chris

oh yes of course!  In reality I don't think I'll ever be "done" with it.  I keep finding all kinds of things that I want to do or change!

Not to hijack, but reminds me of home (well, home-away-from-home):

http://www.skipwave.net/brian/shapeshoppe.html

http://flickr.com/photos/skipwave/2938411011/

We like our exposed brickwork as well. It does require more gobos around drumsets usually. We have been struggling with the nasty standing wave between floor and ceiling, though.

We like our exposed brickwork as well. It does require more gobos around drumsets usually. We have been struggling with the nasty standing wave between floor and ceiling, though.

You need absorption on your ceiling!

Latest posts

Back