In case you wanted to see how the new studio is coming along..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, that is a great price for such a sizable piece of hardware. We are constantly struggling with crappy little boom stands. Maybe time to step up....

Is that an Alesis mixer? how does that sound?? better quality than a 3036? altough i own a AI3?

Looks fantastic! i wish i had tha space to do all that!

thanks for sharing!

That is an Alesis X2.  They only made them for a couple of years, 94 to 96 I think.

Overall it has a few design issues like poor decoupling on the channels and fairly shoddy preamps and summing amps.

The early ones were full of Signetics opamps and use decent Xicon caps throughout, the later ones moved to JRC opamps and cheap caps that were prone to leaking as well as cheap pots that wore out quickly.

If you can get a board that has all of the factory ECOs done to it then it's a great start for a project.  Each channel is a blade and can be easily worked on/modified.

People keep emailing me from all over the world asking what I've done to mine.  i keep promising to do a webpage with all of the mods and schematics but I never seem to have time.  The first mods to do are ADD DECOUPLING and replace the old coupling caps.  This will greatly improve the console to the point where it will seem like a new console.

other mods include changing the summing amps and then changing the bus impedance.

This puts it in another class.  I'll put mine against any console anytime!

LOFI: That song is cool, I like it a lot it and it reminds me of The White Rose Movement. 

thanks, wish i could take some credit, but its just a band with vids durin a rehearsal. all i did was rent the space to them. dunno about the alesis but i quite like my soundtracs quartz, just not as easy to mod without losing its character ...

Iain

Latest posts

Back