Rack Mixer Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Anyone making anything cool like this?

http://www.chandlerlimited.com/products/minirackmixer.php

I need something to sum a few mics when tracking, and for summing multiple mics from guitar cabs to 1 track.  Doesn't quite have to be as crazy as this, but I'm using a Mackie 1202VLZ right now for this job, and it's just not giving me anything amazing.  Perhaps building something with a pair of 1290's on the ass end, or something cool.  Any thoughts?  Surely don't want to spend what that chandler costs...($6k!)

Thanks,
Sig

hi sig. this is a all-neve- electronics mixer ive just about finished. its only got two mic pres but another one could easy be designed with more mic channels. ive made this as a control room monitor unit with headphone amp. this idea was to have two great solid state mic pres AND the ability to mix up a headphone monitor for performers AND operate a control room properly AND perform a real nice stereo outboard sum AND have a great level adjustable source switcher for mastering work. hope you like it. i'll put some photos of the insides up tomorrow. you could make/buy this one for way less than six grand. the neve circuit boards are original from a big automated patching bay system from GTV9 in melbourne 1980s. they are the real thing. very fat. they work on +/- 12volt rail. single end in - floating balanced out. dc to daylight response. plenty headroom.
anneve100.jpg

anneve202.jpg

anneve303.jpg

anneve404.jpg

neve5352.jpg

neve5353.jpg

gyraf said:
:eek: whoa - that is actually a very beautiful way of frontpanel marking..!

Jakob E.

Nice indeed ! While not identical, it made me think of this:

deep_purple_machine_head.jpg

BTW, I was only a veryvery little boy when this came out, it's from well before I first listened to it  ;)

Apart from this, I'm curious to the Neve-way of summing. Their 8816 info mentions
"the classic transformer mixing topology", but is it passive summing with gain-makeup ?

Or is it virtual earth/zero-Ohm/active-summing ?
Or this all crap perhaps since there simply is no single
classic Neve-method of summing ?

Bye,

Peter

Very cool man.  I don't actually need any pres, I have a ton here now, and just need line in summing.  Any other projects that are nice and cool around?

Thanks,
Sig

Latest posts

Back