Beefing up output of Furman HR-6

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldHouseScott

Link first: http://www.furmansound.com/pro/hdphn/system2/system2_1.htm

At our studio, we've never really liked these headphone boxes, although in principle they're good for individual "more-me" situations. They just don't seem to have enough oomph to drive the Sony 7506's or whatever else to levels that drummers can appreciate (or hear over their own kit).

Looking inside, there is a TL084 and TL072 for the four individual channel gain controls and the main stereo gain control, respectively. Then there is a solitary NE5532 acting, presumably, as the mixer. Then there are two sets of 2N4401/2N4403 complimentary pairs, again, presumably as output drivers fed from the NE5532 for left and right to the phones. There are small signal diodes in this area as well. I'm guessing a push-pull output stage in either class B or AB something. Sorry, no schematic and I haven't traced it out yet. The main control box is feeding +/-22 as well as +/-15 for the IC's.

Ok, here's the question. Can I replace the complimentary pairs with something stouter, and if so what would those be? Or am I voltage limited in this application?

Thanks in advance.

OldHouseScott

P.S. to quote Ross "...there will be a giant sucking sound..." or something like that...

Latest posts

Back