Old audio Transformers need identification... Pics include

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

As I said these need identification maybe by dental records well Im told they are audio I know one is a Woden MT101 I wanna maybe use for mic pre vari mu limiter or LA2a type projects....any thoughts welcome....thanks.

LG85 is a Beeb trafo. Measure the series resistance of the outer two terminals on each side. If it's the same, then it's most likely a repeater, ie. 1:1.

The top picture is indeed a BBC/BT type transformer - from memory the 'H' designation is 600 - 1200 ohm....... They would have been made to a common specification by a number of different manufacturers.

Hi Roa & Audio guy & anyone else Thanks for your thoughts Roda so yr saying the round black one with LG/85A/3892 written on the side is a BBC & Audio guy yr say the top picture one is also BBC ( I have others that look similar to that one too.

The Back ones LG/85  DC res on one side is 1090 Ohm other side is 75 Ohm

The Grey tran in top pic measures 19 ohms and 10 ohms one side & 8. 4 ohm & 8.4 Ohms

Any ideas what I can use these for ? Well as the black one worked on a 2 X 12AY7 Urie pre I just made sounded as good if not better than my Sowter 9045 which was a lotta dosh

I do have a scope Dont really know how yo use it yet, I have a little square wave generator that I made ages ago also got some analog sysnths Bet i could make nice waves with those.

there is another way to measure output/input transformers..
http://www.harpamps.com/transformers.html

your secondary and primary will not have impedance between them...so find out which wires pair up first.
if there is a center tap, it is close to half of one of the sets.

i setup a variac with a wall wart and dial it in to 1 vac...
i put 1vac across the primary and measure the secondary.
then you divide the secondary voltage by the primary voltage and square it

so if you put 1vac on the primary, and get .5 on the secondary, you get 2, squared you have 4
so if you have a 150 ohm input you get 600ohms out.
its a 1:2 turns ratio
impedance ratio is the square of the turns ratio

if you got .25vac on the secondary, you have 4 or 1:4 turns ratio.
4 squared is 16.
16x say 600 ohm input is 9600(or 600:10k as it is usually stated).

hope that helps, if i am wrong somewhere here, let me know...but i have done this on plenty of known transformers and had it come out very very close to listed specs.

Back