TC Electronic M-One XL rotary knob

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash

Anyone know a part number for the rotary pot/encoder for the M-One XL unit? Mine has gone wonky and will only work if I pull out really hard while turning it. I have a work around where I shaved off about an 1/8th of an inch of pencil eraser and stuffed it between the pot and the PCB...high tech I know, but how long that fix will last is a bit of a mystery. I would like to just replace it but you know TC's stance on that sort of stuff...all very top secret. Anyone got a source on this little beasty?

gyraf said:
I'd order it from TC - they should know what it is, and it can't be that expensive..

Jakob E.

I have an email into them but I have gotten the vibe from many that they are not real hip on sending out parts and do their level best to steer you toward a "TC service center" for any and all repairs. Just thought I might find someone here who might know the part and if it is something I can source myself and get on with life with this thing. Something tells me having to send it in will be much more in time and money than I want to throw at it. Hopefully I am off base with this and I will be surprised with a positive response from them.

Thanks for the reply.

Last time I had to get parts for a TC piece of mine they were wonderful.  I just called them up and they sent out the parts the next day.  This was for an item that was discontinued also.  Give them a chance, or call.

Michael

MHanson said:
Last time I had to get parts for a TC piece of mine they were wonderful.  I just called them up and they sent out the parts the next day.  This was for an item that was discontinued also.  Give them a chance, or call.

Michael

Will do, thanks for the reply.

generally it's going to be a quadrature or gray rotary encoder which you should be able to buy from Digikey pretty easily.  You just have to figure out which one it is based on the outputs.

Thanks to all that have given their two cents. I will see what TC is willing to do and if that doesn't pan out, I may hit you up Gil. I got on Digikey and tried to see what I might need but I was a bit overwhelmed with all the different encoders they have available. I know which end of the iron is hot but I am really more of an end user of this box.

It is post like the following that make me think TC will not play ball.

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=703998&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Luckily there seems to be a link here that shows the encoder, or something very similar to what I saw in there.

http://www3.alps.com/WebObjects/catalog.woa/E/PDF/Switch/Encoder/EC12E/EC12E.PDF

Does anyone have a phone number for TC parts? All I can seem to find is a way to contact them via e-mail, which I have done...still awaiting a reply. I would like to be able to call them if need be. Thanks.

That was neat, I just got the most unhelpful auto-reply from TC, just as I hit post on my previous post. Gil, I have sent you an e-mail.

OK a little progress. After sending an email that let them know that communication with them was as much fun as being drawn and quartered, I got a reply only a few hours later, telling me what I figured..."we don't sell parts to end users." They did give me the part number though. It is a start I guess. By the way if anyone else runs into this, here is the pertinent info:

Here is the part number and description:
p/n: 7E34000301 description: ENCODER/EC12E24204 without push function

OK, just to update, they came around and now the part is in the mail.... Finally. I am exhausted.

Crash said:
Anyone know a part number for the rotary pot/encoder for the M-One XL unit? Mine has gone wonky and will only work if I pull out really hard while turning it. I have a work around where I shaved off about an 1/8th of an inch of pencil eraser and stuffed it between the pot and the PCB...high tech I know, but how long that fix will last is a bit of a mystery. I would like to just replace it but you know TC's stance on that sort of stuff...all very top secret. Anyone got a source on this little beasty?

WARNING! Mine wouldn't change either with a broken off knob. Was about to order the part but went and pulled on the shaft and to my surprise it "Clicked" and pulled out a notch then worked!! The replacement part number listed is the same I found at Full Compass for the M One, no mention of the XL. The XL is a push/pull pot!! Don't know about the M One.

There was enough shaft left to use a rubber foot attached with a screw into the hollow part of the shaft. PRESTO... a make shift knob (no pun intended) but it's up and running!!! The replacement part MIGHT not "disengage" if it isn't push/pull. Just be aware and try some needle nose pliers. Pull on the shaft and see if it fixes your problem. I'd never thought of it hadn't been for this OP's mention of pulling on the pot. Did it for a different reason but had good results!  ;)

Also display problems are definitely related to the power supply. Check the capacitor at C19. Seems to be the weak link. Use a higher temp (105C) 6.3V 1000uf. I didn't have a 6.3 volt so used a 25volt instead and it fixed that problem, Now the unit is fully functional ;D!

I just saw this reply. My unit (M-One XL) did not have a push/pull pot originally and neither was the replacement. It is still going strong 4-5 years later.

Latest posts

Back