AKG D19 probems

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've posted how to work on them before over in Klaus Heyne's mic lab. It's tricky to explain in words. They are an absolute bugger though.

Resurrecting this thread.  I've been searching a while for info about fixing an AKG d19.  I've found a lot of little bits of info here and there but they'll all seem to trail off into no definite answers.   I have a d19 and a d24. They both worked when I got them. The d24 fell and hit the ground and does not work anymore and the d19 I broke trying to reglue the little plastic disc that sits on the capsule. On both it's the tiny wires that broke off from the diaphragm. Is it at all possible to connect NEW wires to the copper ring and have the diaphragm work again?????  I've found some wire and attached it to the copper ring on the d19 and soldered it to the coil wires but I'm unable to get any signal. Is it not that simple???
Can anyone tell me anything about this? But for the broken wires the d19 worked fine before.

I just got a D19 and a D119.  The D119 has a 5 pin connector.  I need to change it over to a 3 pin to see if it works.  Anyone have any idea how to get this thing apart?

> Anyone have any idea how to get this thing apart?

Why not just buy a 5 pin DIN? Or put croc clips on the pins and have a listen.

If you must get inside then go carefully. It is very easy for the head to fall off, and if you snap the tiny wires it may be very tough to repair.

This is how to get into a D19. I haven't tried a D119

There are three grub screws around the head basket. Using the right size screwdriver screw these into the mic, but not so far that they fall out the other end. The grill should now come off.

Push the pattern selector all the way over to one side and unscrew the little rod or screw that you just pushed.

Then unscrew the one or two screws near the connector. The whole mic including the connector should now slide out of the metal outer shell.

Very often the grub screws are damaged or stripped from previous investigations. That can make things tricky.

Cheers!

Stewart

Do you happen to know the pin out for the 5 pin?  I think I will just make up a cable first and see how they sound.

A little update.

I got a 5 pin connector and made a cable.  Pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2 and pin 4 to pin 3.  The D119 sounds killer!  It actually sounds much better then the D19.  So I think the D19 has some issues.

The D19 currently sounds similar to my EV 635a.  By that I mean it is lower output, less low end.  The D119 sound huge.  I compared it to a Beta 58 and it is so much better sounding then the 58 is is unreal.  It sounds more like a RE20 but maybe smoother.  I think if I could get the D19 to sound like the D119 it would be a nice little pair.

Any ideas on what to look for if I dare dig into taking the D19 a part?  Is it something I can fix or does someone who specializes in these need to be working on it?

Thanks for you help.

Latest posts

Back