The price of things these days........

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColinS

[rant]
Today I soldered more or less all the components onto my first G9 PCB. (I'm keeping the other in a drawer for a rainy day...along with all the components). All looking great.

I had just about everything I need for it. All that remained was the case and knobs.

Visited a well known electronic retailer's website to buy said case and knobs.

Utterly infuriated to find that of all the parts required; by far and away the most expensive part is the case. Ok, I've used OEP transformers rather than the Lundahls, but even then, the Lundies can be got for less than I've had to spend on this case. I did look at a few other suppliers, but the prices all head north from what I've spent.

Maybe I'm just perpetuating the myth that Scotsmen are miserly, but is it possible to get a 2u case for less than £35???

I know we don't necessarily do the DIY thing to save money....but I do feel that this is a bit expensive for what is essentially a very simple lump of metal

I suppose I could DIY a case....but my metal-bashing skills are somewhat un-proven

[/rant]

Spookily, I checked back my order history with the mob I've ordered my case from and found that I ordered the last one (for my G1176....build one if you haven't already) EXACTLY a year ago.

Map**n? then you have to engrave them, quite near the cost of one of Tat's after that.

always seems expensive to me too, would love a cheaper UK supplier

Iain

ColinS said:
[rant]
Maybe I'm just perpetuating the myth that Scotsmen are miserly, but is it possible to get a 2u case for less than £35???
[/rant]

It is indeed impossible.
I've been fighting with this reality for years and it's hard to believe, but its true. Every cheaper alternative I've pursued has been a failure. Until behringer gets into case supplying for the DIY community, we're stuck paying exorbitant rates for simple chunks 'o metal.

You can get cheaper rack cases. But the quality is really bad.
When i started DIY, i looked for cheap cases and found some on ebay for around 25 Euros.
Worst junk case i ever bought. Even with a relatively light G1176, the front panel already bent
without a unit at bottom and the top lid couldn't be closed very well because of tolerances so i had
to leave out 2 of 4 screws because they just didn't fit.
Yes cases are expensive but i rather pay a bit more than having to deal with junk.

Flo

I really like the Modushop cases, solid and great value.
They were even better value before the £ to € became almost 1:1  !!

What about recycling some "junk" racks and perhaps just buying blank face plates ?

MM

I'm planning to make a small run of rack cases for my own needs. I can also quote for quantity like 50+ to get idea if a group buy would make sense. I'll report in a few weeks.

Where are you getting a 2u case for £35 ???    Spill the beans mate that is cheap ?

I agree that £35 sounds like a lot of money, but I haven't found a decent 2u case for that sot of money for years.

I have been using the Penn fabrications cases from CPC.
http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/r2100-2uk/19-2u-rack-cabinet/dp/EN55272?_requestid=318360
These are the best quality for the price I have found, but if you really don't want to spend that sort of money maybe you should either recycle or look at an alternative to a 19" rack case.

Lofi guessed it in 1, albeit with a few asterisks.

Maplin do a range from 1u to 4u. They look to be fairly similar to the CPC ones you linked to, but are obviously a bit cheaper. Steel box with ally front. There's nothing wrong with them as far as I can see. Only let down is the tops and bottoms are held on with self-tappers rather than proper machine screws...beggars can't really be choosers though.

I don't think those Mapin cases are anything like as solid as the Penn fabrications cases that CPC sell.     I remember buying them in the past & the metal is much thinner unless they have changed them radically.

If I were buying from Holt I would buy from this range, which are still relatively cheap   
http://www.holtbroadcast.co.uk/allex_emc_cases.htm
£36.40 for a single  2u 150mm deep.  However once you've added shipping & VAT to the deal, possibly cheaper to go with CPC, where you get free postage over a certain amount.

Back and sides of the Maplin cases are now one piece, so when drilling the back you have the sides
"flapping around in your way" !!

Modushop are all I use now - DA BOMB :-0

MM.

MartyMart said:
Back and sides of the Maplin cases are now one piece, so when drilling the back you have the sides
"flapping around in your way" !!

Modushop are all I use now - DA BOMB :-0

MM.

I actually prefer the cases that the sides & back are one piece.    One reason is that they are stronger & another is that one doesn't run into the same amount of problems with earth integrity with regards to shielding. 

In saying that the moutec cases do look very good & the pricing is also good too.
If you were ordering one 2u case at say 150mm depth how much would it cost by the time you had included VAT & delivery charges ?

Hi Rob, my last order with them was July last year and was for 2 x 1u 230mm depth
and 2 x 2u 230mm depth.
Total price inc vat & shipping was €201 at the time this was about £165 but now is close to £200 !!!

Price on a 2u @ 230mm depth is €38.82 ex vat , it was cheaper to ship 4 x cases @ €21 than 1 case
at €16  !!

Even with the shitty Euro rate, they are still a good price, call it £37 per 2u and £32 per 1u approx, ex vat and postage.

MM

EDIT : I just went to the site and noticed a price increase if about €2 per case.

Such high case prices, plus shipping to Colombia, is the reason i learned how to use corel to do "blueprints" and front panels...plus finding a local factory to pull it off, big PITA but after much struggle, i'm quite pleased with the results. And the price is quite decent compared to imported cases (about 1/2). Plus laser engraving is incredible and cheap here. I use 1.5mm aluminium and 3mm for the front panel.

Latest posts

Back