Pimped T1953

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonsOfThunder

Its been a while since I've been on.  I've missed it a lot!  Thought I'd show something I finally finished, two years in the works, a mod job for a friend of mine:

Front panel.  Note the color of the tube window
normal_DSCN0471.JPG

Close up of the tube window.
normal_DSCN0470.JPG

Internal shot.  You can see the mounting plate for the Edcor output transformers.  Just a piece of thick ABS plastic.  Mounted from underneath in the recess that looks like its for a fan.  The mounting screws can't scratch up stuff while its sliding in and out of the rack.
normal_DSCN0464.JPG

Edcor WSM600/600 obviously...!  And I clipped the zero Ohm jumpers on the other side of the PCB...
normal_DSCN0465.JPG

PS board was recapped with Panasonic FC and Nichicon UHW.  Be mindful of the voltage if replacing these.  I missed the 100V cap the first time and I quickly found out which one when I fired it up the first time...
normal_DSCN0466.JPG

Sovtek 12AX7WB for more color...hopefully a pleasing color:
normal_DSCN0467.JPG

This is most of the parts I exchanged.  I think I lost a few of them.
normal_DSCN0473.JPG

Basically I replaced all of the signal path caps with Panasonic FC, signal path opamps with OPA2134, except the ones on the output connector board where I opted for 5532 and the TL072 were socketed and replaced with TLE2072.  New knobs from Mouser are Tyco PKES series (120mm and 60mm sizes).  Tubes are Sovtek 12AX7WB.  Removed the bulbs and sockets and soldered in blue LEDs with 1k dropping resistors.  The SMT opamps are all glued to the PCB which makes it hard to get them off without taking a trace with it.  I only tore one before I brought it in to work to use the Metcal Talon.  Yay Metcal!

Hope you guys enjoy!
Charlie

Thanks for the compliment.  Unfortunately, I cannot say how it sounds yet.  This was done for a friend and I have not gotten it back to him to check it out.

I can't try it out myself.  I lost my studio last year due to divorce which is the reason I have not been on this forum in some time.

Thanks for the sympathy about my studio.  Not too many people understand that part of the loss.  Maybe this summer I will be able to afford another house.

Getting back to the DIY.  Helps to clear out yer head of other negativity.

Hopefully, I'll have a dual channel 1566 box to show soon!  I have all the original transformers. :)

Back