Rolls RA62 headphone amp hum in one channel

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antoniosolo

There is no audio but hum in one channel. No matter which hp input I plug my phones into, tere is hum only in one channel and audio in the other.  Whether I plug audio into the main ot the aux, there is hum.  There are two can near the psu.  Is that the culprit(s).  I have replaced an opamp that was burnt and a power switch that was defective.  I am attaching the schematic.  Could someone tell me what to replace on here.  Yes I am a total newbie and appreciate all of your help.  I am forcing myself to maintain some of my equipment and hope to get good at this.  I truly thank you again for any guidance.

Attachments

• ra62.pdf016.jpg
    ra62.pdf016.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 75
I guess this is the most mundane post on here....or I ruffled some feathers somewhere....I would really appreciate some help with this.  I need this up and running! :p

I can't really read the schematic very well.  Is the humming channel the same channel that you replaced the opamp in?  Do you know what caused that opamp to be burnt?

Doubt it.  In the picture you sent me, R503 is burnt to a crisp.  R101, 201, 301, 401, 501, 601 look overheated.

Something is definately wrong if all of those parts are getting overheated.  Check the voltages on the output of the transformer and out of the rectification too.

This is a simple unregulated power supply - so start by checking the +ve and -ve voltages with respect to 0v earth.

They should be equal - but my guess is that they will not be!

Disconnect the PSU wires from the main board - and check the voltages again. (It looks as though the rectifier diodes and reservoir smoothing capacitors are on the PCB attached to the transformer?). If they are equal with respect to earth - then you should look for a faulty op amp. If you re-connect the PSU again - you will probably find one running hot - use your nose.....

Back