BIG SONTEC finished...RMA results added

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 10827

Hello all,

I just finished my BIG Sontec, not sure i like the knobs, quite over powering, i have some others on order from banzai so we'll see how they look.

the main thing i wanted to add was full relay bypass and individual band engage switches. If i was not such a pussy i would of put rotary's in but that's way way to much work and time that i just don't have. Plus its +-6dB version.

RMA results http://www.grandmasteraudio.com/Sontec_Black.sav.htm

Sontec_Black.jpg

sontec_inside.jpg

rack.jpg

Peter,

you make me sick, seriously.  ;)

It looks great, You've laid out the panel the way I hope to do mine.  You've even used the same knobs I was considering!  I can see what you mean about them being a bit over powering.  I've considered laying my panel out across 4U so it doesn't get too cluttered while allowing nice big knobs but I can see from your unit that the challenge is horizontal space not vertical.

I've also thought about the ergonomics of a round knob rather than the type you've used.  These are the kinds of things I think about while not building my eq....

Well done mate (again).

Ruairi

Yes its a bit tight on there, very tight wiring it all up too, special with all the band switches / leds ...

the problem is that the pots dont have too much mechanical resistance so they are easlily nudged by mistake, ill try the new knobs which are not as high, so should not get in the way so much..

thanks guys, still sounds killer though!

pete

Did you run into any problems running the control connections such a long distance? I would like to lay mine out like that but I'm nervous about running cables all over the place. I ran into that problem on the DAOC. Maybe the impedances are low enough so it doesn't matter. Igor?

Gold said:
Did you run into any problems running the control connections such a long distance? I would like to lay mine out like that but I'm nervous about running cables all over the place. I ran into that problem on the DAOC. Maybe the impedances are low enough so it doesn't matter. Igor?

I'll second this question.  I've got the Elmas for mine and I will need to fly them on longer leads in the same way that Peter did.  Are you planning on building yours with switches too Paul?

Cheers,
Ruairi

nice looking piece

anybody try to build this with 1 set of controls ganged to operate both channels?
is that not a good idea for tweakability?

Sweet!  Really nice job.  I like the tall stand-offs.  I agree with you on the knobs though.  There is something a little loud and cacophonous about them. 

-Chris

shabtek said:
nice looking piece

anybody try to build this with 1 set of controls ganged to operate both channels?
is that not a good idea for tweakability?

Doesn't seem like a great idea to me for several reasons.  If you build a version with pots you'd need to find 4 gang 100K rev log pots (with a centre tap IIRC) - not exactly a  common part!  If you built it with switches you'd need 4 deck rotary switches for the freq controls - as someone who's bought the Elma for this using the 2 deck it already cost me close on €1,000!

Then there's the practicality of a ganged eq.  The advantage is that you only have to move one knob instead of 2 - not much of an advantage to in the real world.  The big downside is that you can't use the eq for MS mastering work, eq the left and right differently or split it into 2 tracking or mixing eqs.

Cheers,
Ruairi

Hi guys,

I was concerned about the cables off the board, I kept the GAIN & FREQ Screened, but ran out of screened so i just used un-screened teflon for the Q's,

it's as quiet as my last Sontecs, sounds just as good, performs really well and much easier to use, so i dont think there is a problem, unlike tube gear there is very little noise in these any way..if Igor says other wise then i'll change the Q teflon wiring.

I did the design with FPExpress, it was going to be red to match the PCB's but Schaffers red is more orange so i decide not to..

i used flat top LEDs so they are flush with the panel as the panels are 3mm thick, i never liked LED mounts any hoo..

Ruairi you must be crazy crazy crazy to do Elmas!! it took me two days to do this! still if you want the ultimate control then you got to do it.

For me there is a trade off with my skills / environment as to whether its worth going that far right now...i hope it will be one day.

thank guys,

Pete

sinestaraudio said:
I was concerned about the cables off the board, I kept the GAIN & FREQ Screened, but ran out of screened so i just used un-screened teflon for the Q's,

Did you just attach one end of the screen to ground?

Ruairi you must be crazy crazy crazy to do Elmas!! it took me two days to do this! still if you want the ultimate control then you got to do it.

Well it's all talk for now but I just got my PCBS so it's time to get cracking.  I have some specific questions for Igor so I think I'll start a specific build thread for stepped mastering versions and basically embarrass myself into making some progress.  I'm not scared of soldering the switches, it will just be slow and methodical.  What I am concerned about is how to determine the resistor values.  For now I'm thinking stuff the channels and buy one band worth of pots.  Then use an analyser to find my desired freqs and gains and then measure the pot value.

Anyway enough rambling, congrats on another great build.

Cheers,
Ruairi

sinestaraudio said:
it's as quiet as my last Sontecs, sounds just as good, performs really well and much easier to use, so i dont think there is a problem, unlike tube gear there is very little noise in these any way..if Igor says other wise then i'll change the Q teflon wiring.

That's good to know. How about frequency response. Is it flat from 20hz-20khz and possibly beyond?

Ruari, yes I am using switches. Mine are going to be four channel units for lacquer cutting. Ganged left and ganged right. I have 12 position switches (Electroswitch C4) for gain and frequency and six position for Q. They will be +/- 3dB. I almost never use more than that and I will have another EQ if I need more. I hate soldering Elmas. I'm using them for the DAOC and the Pico because I already have them and I need 24 positions for the threshold controls.

I've been seriously kicking around the idea of integrating Wayne's M/S board. Using that board as the line receiver/driver. Since that board will have gain there is no need to switch in the matrix around a line stage. It make integrating M/S into the console I'm building much easier. I've never liked or needed M/S compression.

ruairioflaherty said:
What I am concerned about is how to determine the resistor values.  For now I'm thinking stuff the channels and buy one band worth of pots.  Then use an analyser to find my desired freqs and gains and then measure the pot value.
Ruairi

Yes, this is what I am doing. I bought a kit for two channels from Igor. I will build it with pots first. Play around with it and get a feel for it. Then I will measure the pots and make the switches. This is how I'm building everything. I've done it the other way. Bad idea.

Yes flat from 20hz to 20khz and probably beyond, my little analyser stops there, although i will run it though with the Rightmark analyser in a mo, ill let you know the results...once switched in circuit there is a neg 0.3dB level drop...nothing to worry about but just thought id mention it..

Integrated M&S, now that would be a class touch!

get building chaps, it might just make me build one with elmas!!!

EDIT : RMA results,

RME s/pdif feeding two MYTEKS, Sontec in circuit (of course no gain)

http://www.grandmasteraudio.com/Sontec_Black.sav.htm

Latest posts

Back