"There's probably no God..." campaign

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ptownkid

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1106924/Theres-probably-God--stop-worrying-enjoy-life-Atheist-group-launches-billboard-campaign.html

Priceless. It makes me giggle to see how many people are so enraged about this. Do they not realize that that's the point...that different people have different beliefs and we all need to stop going over the top in the name of religion.

As long as it's not truly hurting anyone...Believe whatever you please, but don't complain about being exposed to ideas and beliefs that differ from your own.

Agreed.

I am a believer. There is probably a god but I think he hasn't got a clue of what is going on here on earth.

So take it easy and enjoy your life.

or
all paths lead to the same place

private schools get public funding here , and some
organizations KNOW how to ask for money and get it

church & state and the outlaw bikes
then the poor folk just trying to get by

No way that would fly here in the good 'ol USofA.  Hoardes of "persecuted" christians would cry foul and call for boycotts of this and that until the were removed.

I think it's a brilliant ad campaign.   

Ptownkid said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1106924/Theres-probably-God--stop-worrying-enjoy-life-Atheist-group-launches-billboard-campaign.html

Priceless. It makes me giggle to see how many people are so enraged about this. Do they not realize that that's the point...that different people have different beliefs and we all need to stop going over the top in the name of religion.

As long as it's not truly hurting anyone...Believe whatever you please, but don't complain about being exposed to ideas and beliefs that differ from your own.

As I need to note: ......

To the X-tians,

"If there is such thing as God, then PROVE that it exists!!!!!!"

To the atheists,

"If there is no God, then prove that it DOESN'T exist!!!!"

I really love the blatant hypocrisy going on...especially with the atheists for they will go out of their way to act almost in the exact way their christian adversaries tend to act towards "nonbelievers"

Even though there is no proof of the existence of the Christian god, at least there are some factual events found in the bible (i.e. Great flood/ Noah's Arch)

Now I ask those to whom consider themselves to be atheists, what "framework/foundation" to your belief do you have??  Just about every paradigm/belief regardless if its based on either factual proof or faith and can be explained in some kind of coherent way. 

Heck, even Scientology has been able to do that.... ;)

Here in the states we are subjected to all kinds of religious imagery including huge billboards, TV commercials, etc.  Atheists tend to take it in stride and simply go on with their lives without complaint yet it seems to only fan the flames of the religious individuals who seem to take this as a sign that they "need" to try much harder to "save" those atheists.  But as stated in a previous reply, IF atheists did such a thing in return then we would see something that I can explain only with a good pun: "all hell would break loose!".

I used to work with such an individual.  I was welcomed to work with daily preaching and "lessons" on how wrong it is to be atheist.  I consider myself to be atheist but with a hint of being slightly agnostic.  I believe that we serve a higher being but that being is the collective goodness of humanity, not an entity of the Bible's stories. 

This person was completely astonished at what I had to say while I explained myself and my thoughts.  Firstly he didn't believe that I didn't go around trying to UN-save religious people.  He had been raised on the theory that all atheists spend their time trying to "kill God"..  Secondly, he had NO scientific background, in fact he believed that science was of the devil (I kid you not..) and refused any explanation of science.  His answer was simply "God's will" for everything.  Snowflakes=gods will.  Lightning=gods will..  You get the point( I can't even make this stuff up it's so strange..).

Oh and forget about trying to convince this person that he should question the world around him.  That, in his mind, means that he would be negating his "faith" by questioning God.

To which I asked, "if God created man, then why do we have the power to question him?"

To which he replied " God wants you to choose to follow him".

To which I replied "How can you choose a side if you don't know one side from the other?  If I have two sandwiches, one filled with turkey and the other with sand, how do I know which one to choose if I don't investigate and understand what I am looking at?"

To which he replied "God's will. He will show you the way"

To which I replied  ???

But I am a scientist at heart so if some miracle were to happen (a real true miracle) and I witnessed it, I would follow the facts towards "God".  As it stands though, everything that I know in my life has been explained by science and the facts are easily followed to that conclusion.

Hey ptown,

Poor old Dawkins he really doesn't want there to be a god. Hahaha.

I read one of his books and he kinda missed the point. Sure it's completely illogical and contradictory and organised religion accounts for many/most of the worlds problems but try telling that to someone who's mother/father/sister/brother/daughter/son/cat/dog/goldfish just died.

I'm an atheist and (for me) religion is all bollocks but that's me.
Other folks... none of my business unless they knock on a sunday morning.

BTW I joined a dating site and 99% of women who call themselves "Christians" list "Erotica" as a turn on.
Can anyone explain this to me?  :-\

cheers
Nick

nickt said:
BTW I joined a dating site and 99% of women who call themselves "Christians" list "Erotica" as a turn on.
Can anyone explain this to me?  :-\

What did the women who didn't call themselves "Christians" list as a turn-on? Probably the same.

Peace,
Paul

I love this campaign. Theres some great photoshop shenanigans out there on the web.
heres a few i found.

Bus banner generator:-
http://ruletheweb.co.uk/b3ta/bus/?s1=There%27s+probably+no+cod.&s2=Now+stop+complaining&s3=and+eat+your+sardines.

http://www.b3ta.com/board/9160045

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2009/feb/09/religion-atheism-bus-slogan

bus.jpg

You can spin the same wisdom east or west
and find what you need
the " Our's is the ONLY way "
is what tells me it is not .

now D.I.Y. that tells you everything right there

It's not that I don't believe in the possibility of a higher power, we'd be naive to think we know that we're all there is, but how can i possibly pick the right religion out of so many?

The bus thing made me laugh. But I think it's pointless to try to convince people of differing beliefs unless the goal is better understanding of one another, and open, respectful dialog. At least they toned it down a bit by saying "probably."

As an atheist married to a deeply-religious christian, I would like to share something I learned from a poem by Cezlaw Miloscz:

If there is no God,
Not everything is permitted to man;
He is still his brother's keeper,
And he is not permitted to
sadden his brother
by saying that there is
no God.

Ptownkid said:
It's not that I don't believe in the possibility of a higher power, we'd be naive to think we know that we're all there is, but how can i possibly pick the right religion out of so many?

Believing in the possibility of a higher power is not illogical or un-scientific. In fact is it not what we are trying to understand how the hell the entire universe came about or what sort of power caused this happen?

Religions (possibly un-knowingly)  offered it in a particular format and with moral obligations attached to it, that is all. Started with Ra-the Sun. When you think about the role of the sun in relation to earth, here we go, we have a higher power that regulates our lives.

The whole danger is in how you believe in that higher power. But the idea of believing in a higher power is not something remote.

Latest posts

Back