Soundcraft 800b/1600 & Soundcraft 2400 Micpre & EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Laska
Do you have more schematics of the modules used in the Soundcraft 1600?
I bought a modded series 1600 last year, where the caps and op-amps have been replaced.

I dont know how the console has sounded before, but mine has a big punch, clear sound, and a sweet top.

M

Hi Mikkel,
I have many schematics for the 1600 & the 800b.
The 1600 is simply the 24 track plus patchbay version of the 800b.
Input, Aux/Master, Master etc strips use identical componentry.
Do you want to tell us a bit more about the mods made to your 1600?
Regards,
Tom

Hey Tom

I would be very pleased if you are able to post the schematics.
I am back in the studio thursday, and then I can post, what parts there are changed compared to the original.

M

For those that may be interested; here's a link to the schematics for a Soundcraft 6000.
http://www.crystalclearrecording.com/downloads/soundcraft/
Check out the active panpot.
Hey Frank...what you doing out there...sweating over a hot iron? :wink:
Regards,
Tom

Hi Mikkel,
My most humble & sincere apologies for not posting the 1600 schematics.
I won't go into the details as to why I did not post them; suffice to say there were good reasons!
Please PM me your email adress & I will send you all I have.
Regards,
Laska

Thank you all for a very informative thread.

Maybe someone could help me shed some light on a 1600 related issue.
I'm currently installing a 1600 in my home studio.

On 2 of the channels everything is fine apart from the microphone inputs which seem dead.
Line in on those channels are fine as is the auxes and EQ. If anyone has had a similar problem is there a simple fix?

On another channel the mic input works but is extremely quiet.

I realise that it it could be several different problems but sometimes the fix is within reach of a musician type with limited under-the-hood knowledge.
I could off course buy some modules on ebay and replace them with but if the problem is reasonably easy to locate and fix I might just have a go!

Big thanks

Hi,

the electrolytic caps are the first thing I'd be inclined to try.

The traditional test is to listen to the noise they make as you throw them in the bin.

Apparently any old Soundcraft probably needs new electrolytics. 

Take care....

John

skaren said:
Thank you all for a very informative thread.

Maybe someone could help me shed some light on a 1600 related issue.
I'm currently installing a 1600 in my home studio.

On 2 of the channels everything is fine apart from the microphone inputs which seem dead.
Line in on those channels are fine as is the auxes and EQ. If anyone has had a similar problem is there a simple fix?

On another channel the mic input works but is extremely quiet.

I realise that it it could be several different problems but sometimes the fix is within reach of a musician type with limited under-the-hood knowledge.
I could off course buy some modules on ebay and replace them with but if the problem is reasonably easy to locate and fix I might just have a go!

Big thanks
Soundcraft mic pres of that era are generally very easy to repair. I would say 90% of the faulty ones are repaired by replacing the opamp. Due to a less than optimum design, this opamp tends to blow when a short-circuit appears on the mic input with phantom ON.

Thanks for your replies.

Where could I find a suitable op-amp replacement?
What's the easiest way of finding out if the op-amp is bust?

skaren said:
Thanks for your replies.

Where could I find a suitable op-amp replacement?
Almost any shop that sells electronic components has TL072's. You can find them on Ebay for pennies.
What's the easiest way of finding out if the op-amp is bust?
Generally, one of the output pins (1 or 7), that should be close to zero volt will be at a very different voltage, like + or - 16V.

Back