I am looking to build a mic preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waltertore

Hi All:  My friend is an avid electronic builder and has offered to build a mic preamp for me.  I will be using it with the following mics - AKG C414, beyerdynamics M500 ribbon, oktava M012 & MK 219, shure 57.  I am looking for a tube preamp that will perform at least as good as a UA 610.  Budget is around $600 or less for materials.  Any suggestions(descriptions of sonic characteristics) would sure be appreciated as well as sound samples of the preamps in action.  Thanks in advance!  Walter

Welcome here, but be warned, this place isn't suited for info to build a mic-pre, better look elsewhere...

... the thing is, hang around here and soon you will not be building one but many many micpre's, you want that ?  8) ;)

clintrubber said:
Welcome here, but be warned, this place isn't suited for info to build a mic-pre, better look elsewhere...

... the thing is, hang around here and soon you will not be building one but many many micpre's, you want that ?  8) ;)

I am not sure I understand your message.  I want to build an established home built mic pre that others have found works well, and need information on what is available out there.   thanks.  Walter

For your own sanity I wanted to warn you for too many preamps
(which you might need anyway since the thing you're looking
for is pretty specific and one design will likely not be able to
address all your needs at once), but most likely we're each equipped
with a different kind of humor.

Let's see what other people manage to suggest you,
best regards,

Peter

clintrubber said:
For your own sanity I wanted to warn you for too many preamps
(which you might need anyway since the thing you're looking
for is pretty specific and one design will likely not be able to
address all your needs at once), but most likely we're each equipped
with a different kind of humor.

Let's see what other people manage to suggest you,
best regards,

Peter

thanks!  Walter

gary o said:
Solid state or tube ?

Tube for sure.  I currently am using a UA 610 and some altec lansing 1592A's (solid state).  I would like enough gain to power a ribbon mic, but it is not a make or break feature.  Thanks!  Walter

Well, if you and your friend are building one preamp, this looks quite nice:

http://dripelectronics.com/v72.html

Must be a very good friend. Building a tube preamp is an involved and time-consuming project.

Your best bet may be the G9.
It will surely smoke that 610.

Id have to say V72 too built mine point to point long time before the paint by numbers kits using sowter trans /intductor built 14 other tube pres all different but to my humble ears V72 sounds best good luck

Walter!!!  how'd you end up here???   :D

I'm working on one now, I'll let you know in a month when all the parts get here how it sounds.

You could also pick up a vintage tube pre out of a console from the 50's and just have your friend rack it for you. I've racked several, they all sound good and all different sounding. An RCA BA1a sounds really good, the Collins tube stuff sounds good too, there's also vintage Langevin, McCurdy, Universal Audio, Gates and others to look for. I'm fond of the Tab V72's, V77's and V77b's, and also the V76. They are pretty much plug and play, you just need 220v and pig tails on the connector.

thanks for all the responses!  Hi Twist- I made it hear from doing searches for scratch made preamps.  I look forward to hearing yours.  What is it?  I have looked at the G9, two bottle and the ones on drip electronics.  I am all for old gear, but my experiences with that stuff is it usually needs a lot of work and parts can be hard to find.  I know nothing on this end.  This is why I thought about going new.  It will last a long time with little to no issues.  The V72 looks real nice but I don't see phantom power.  Thanks.  Walter. 

I'd say start with the SSL9k.  it's an easy build, is neutral and has tons of gain.  Then move on to something more involved.

As always do a little research [ gumpy gus ] here
nobody recommends crappy pres around here
so as clint mentions it may be a matter of
picking which you want to start with .

perhaps a poll on best starter or all around
there are also many opinions here, good luck

okgb said:
As always do a little research [ gumpy gus ] here
nobody recommends crappy pres around here
so as clint mentions it may be a matter of
picking which you want to start with .

perhaps a poll on best starter or all around
there are also many opinions here, good luck

thanks for the ideas!  I have spent quite a bit of time searching this site for sound clips of preamps in action and haven't found any.  That is why I am reaching out.   I am a player, not a builder.  If someone asked me what guitar should they buy I would ask what they are looking to sound like.  From there I would describe the various name brands to their  tones and versitility. I realize I haven't been very specific with the sound I am trying to get.  I record everything live, as a real 1 man band.  It is all done 4 track to computer.  All the instruments are within inches of each other, and I get lots of bleeding.  I am trying to get a live representation of the actual performances, and also capture that deep fat clear sound that was found on the Sinatra Reprise recordings, the old chess records, the Verve recordings, and the old Jimmy Reed stuff. I don't overdub and add little to no compression to my tracks.  Here is a site with about 1,400 of my songs and a video.  It may help people make a reccomendation.  Thanks!  Walter

thanks for that reccomendation Svart!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137

Those old recordings you love are ALOT more than just a tube pre...try some fabulous ribbon mics (or u47's), tube comps and limiters and tape pushed warm in a nice room...mixed and mastered analog...not to say a nice tube pre won't get you started down that road but that is a LONG road.... ;D

raysolinski said:
Those old recordings you love are ALOT more than just a tube pre...try some fabulous ribbon mics (or u47's), tube comps and limiters and tape pushed warm in a nice room...mixed and mastered analog...not to say a nice tube pre won't get you started down that road but that is a LONG road.... ;D

I hear you on that!  We are neighbors.  I am in Granville, OH.  Walter

Walter, your one man blues band video is crazy.  Sounds good.  Amazing.

Guys, if you want to do acoustic instruments with a ribbon mic the V72 and G9 will not have enough gain!  I agree with the SSL9k, or maybe Green Pre, something easy with lots of gain.  A 1290 will definitely fit the bill and offer some character too!

None of the old tube designs will have enough gain for a traditional ribbon mic, including your Beyer M500, (except the V76) -- on acoustic guitar or mandolin or fiddle, for example.  Especially the old RCA ribbon mics, they are very low output and require more gain than any V72 or G9 can produce when micing an acoustic instrument. 

(Maybe if you're going out unbalanced into -10 you'll make it... another discussion.  Or don't mind lower levels and your converter can boost levels, etc... another discussion.)

However, if you're micing loud drums and guitar cabs, then you'd be OK with any of the mic pres.  Then I'd vote for one of NY Dave's tube designs, like the MILA, as Paul S mentioned.

Just be aware, most people underestimate the gain needed for a ribbon mic on an acoustic instrument.

Latest posts

Back