Whats the BEST modern Mic Pre Transformer for tube (pre yr opinion)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

As title of post asks........money no object made & model, thought would be interesting to hear your thoughts...

Cheers.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/mic_in.html

and specifically the JT-115K, JT-110K or JT-13K7-A, depending on your gain/impedance matching needs of course.

I've had a chance to compare some of them to Lundahl and OEP in a similar situation (more specifically the NYD two-bottle, and one-bottle, which require about 1:5 to 1:10 ratios), and I wish I could afford them always.

I'll do a MILA-1 this summer with cinemags, to get some experience with them.

Remember that in some other topology the sound will change, and my example is a very narrow one (and even then only my personal preference).

Jensen JT-115K-E is a 1:10 ratio step-up transformer which will give excellent noise performance in a vacuum tube circuit.  It has low THD and excellent B/W.

Jensen JT13K7A is a 1:5 ratio step-up transformer.  It has even wider (120kHz) bandwidth than the JT-115K-E. It has a larger core and handles more level and has lower THD.  The 1:5 ratio is a very slight noise compromise, but overall, If I were building a vacuum tube preamp, this would be my choice. It is being used by commercial manufacturers of high-performance vacuum tube mic preamps.

Bias Disclaimer: I designed both these 2nd generation Jensen transformers when I was VP Engineering at Jensen, so I know how carefully the capacitive balance, CMRR, Bessel frequency response and other factors were optimized.

I've always thought the JT13K7A would be the one to use.  Haven't ever tried it.

Ok Jensons seem to be getting vote.....you Jenson fans do you have other modern transformers to compare yrs too.....my problem is I only have Sowters I no they are decent but have nothing like jensons to compare them to ...it would mean me blindly buying something & hoping it sounds better or as good but different as what I got

What might be better than 1 jt-115ke-

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/as/as047.pdf

2!

I also love the Cinemag CM-2490.

LL7903 looks wicked as well.

If I had oodles of money, I'd place it in the Lundahl. Instead I go to Cinemag.

I didn't see any pimp Sowter mic inputs...

Latest posts

Back