PSW forums

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Actually there is a very low s/n ratio at Klaus's mic forum, which I enjoy immensely. Having a bit of a bug-bear with the amount of totally un-necessary censorship. (And, yes, I do mean censorship in the true sense of the word). I object to having my words changed, especially as my English is good, and I don't slander, swear or promote any product! Having said that, there is a goldmine of serious information  to be had from some of the best in the business.

Go Klaus!

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

Postumous Edit - DOH! Obviously I Meant HIGH s/n ratio  . . . . .

Perhaps it's H.R.i'm thinking of ,
they all have their own vibe  [ for better or worse ]
and with anything sometimes it's like digging for gold
you go through allot of dirt first  , but it's there
thanks for the pointer

its great over there. S/N higher? I ignore it. Klaus is perfect. Brunos is incredible. Terry's is fun and historic. Their saloon gets me going though. lots o noise.

I go there to see certain peoples stuff who are very intersting.

Here is more of actual audio. Its definetly the top, then psw, then, well you know, thats the bottom.

strangeandbouncy said:
Actually there is a very low s/n ratio at Klaus's mic forum, which I enjoy immensely.

Pet peeve: it's the ratio between (useful) signal and noise. Low S/N ratio = bad, high SNR = good.

JDB.
[you can get the boy out of comms design...]

Re: Klaus' forum,  there is high S/N entirely because Klaus deletes any dissenting opinion and throws the baby out with the bath water.  What is left is Klaus' signal, period.  I also have much less respect for that signal's quality than others do.

-Chris

Bruno is rock solid technically, I don't follow any other REP forums. 

I spend way too much time on the live forums, and I kind of like the (slightly) better behavior when people use their real names. There is enough knowledge and experience in the community that bad advice isn't allowed to stand.

JR

strangeandbouncy said:
Hi,

Having a bit of a bug-bear with the amount of totally un-necessary censorship. (And, yes, I do mean censorship in the true sense of the word).

Esp. when it comes to a real knowledge... eh :-[.

Best, M

I used to be one of the largest noise contributors online (I ran the bbasement with ckerian/back before Eric toasted the Marsh), not much audio, mostly politics...decided to grow up and came here for an education, to many contrary opinions in the REP to wade thru.

It isn't simply the signal/noise issue there, it is also the way posters treat one another...there is a defined level of respect here even for newbs and tech-challenged folks like me that is missing in ALL other forums.

On a side note I know Mark Herman (the owner of PSW) and he is a very decent fellow with a high pedigree in Live Sound experience, his magazine provides the funding for the rest of PSW which apparently is the largest audio mag in circulation...go figure...he's been around for a long time.

iomegaman said:
I used to be one of the largest noise contributors online (I ran the bbasement with ckerian/back before Eric toasted the Marsh), not much audio, mostly politics...decided to grow up and came here for an education, to many contrary opinions in the REP to wade thru.

It isn't simply the signal/noise issue there, it is also the way posters treat one another...there is a defined level of respect here even for newbs and tech-challenged folks like me that is missing in ALL other forums.

On a side note I know Mark Herman (the owner of PSW) and he is a very decent fellow with a high pedigree in Live Sound experience, his magazine provides the funding for the rest of PSW which apparently is the largest audio mag in circulation...go figure...he's been around for a long time.

If you know Mark say Hi, but he is no longer running PSW.

The live sound forum never did suffer fools, but there is a beginners area (lab lounge) that is somewhat kinder and gentler, and trolls are routinely chased off by the mods if not shouted down by the community.

The different forums on the recording side each have their own personality so YMMV over there..

JR

ioaudio said:
what do think?

There´s a lot of hype and myths created over there at no basis. I often find that pure facts are not shared. Some over there don´t want that people have the knowledge to judge things because this would dethrone the "keepers of wisdom".

JohnRoberts said:
iomegaman said:

If you know Mark say Hi, but he is no longer running PSW.

The live sound forum never did suffer fools, but there is a beginners area (lab lounge) that is somewhat kinder and gentler, and trolls are routinely chased off by the mods if not shouted down by the community.

The different forums on the recording side each have their own personality so YMMV over there..

JR
I haven't spoken to Mark in about a year and a half, last I heard Huge Universe (which he may have sold) was his, but again I'm kinda outta the loop of late, I always liked Fletcher although he's more of a "pimp" than a tech, its rare to find people who have actually tried the gear they are hate/like...Slipperman remains a friend and one of the last remaining Mozart defenders in spite of the "dead guy" moniker that Fletcher/Jim Williams heaved upon that particular product...I trust Slippys advice on just about anything, its wading thru his verbosity that many find wearisome.

i thought there are more critical voices, maybe its better not to stir up things.

however i would think it would be nice to have a free platform for microphones, maybe it´s time for a new one.

i prefer noise over mis-information.

-max

Hi all,

I have mixed feelings about PSW.  I love Bruno's section and wish we could have him here for a while, so much of it goes over my head but it used to be that way for me here too at one point.  I also really like the vibe in Ross and Terry's page, fun and casual with the odd bit of useful info and discussion. Klaus Heyne's page also has useful info and I have referred to it several times for specific info however the vibe is claustrophobic due to Klaus's attitude.  I Enjoy Dave Hecht's page although I miss John Klett.

Finally my pet bugbear - Brad Blackwood's mastering section.  As mastering is my primary business I check in almost every day but I rarely post, maybe once in the last 3 or 4 years.  I find the attitude there to be elitist and insecure.  So many posts are either complaining about the state of the business/junior mastering or else making someone feel bad for having a different opinion to Blackwood and his cronies.  I can't remember the last time I learned anything new there. Bob Katz was basically hounded out of there for having a different approach to the power brokers there.  Though my work method's are more in line with the site norms than Bob Katz I felt he always had something to offer and offered it with good will and in acknowledgment that it was hisway of doing thing, not gospel.

There are still some great voices that I respect there: Dave Collins, Terry manning and our own Larry Janus - I swear that one day I will buy one of his SR-71 limiters if only because I like his style so much.  IMHO the net needs a new mastering hang out (Gearslutz is not it by any stretch) and if I had more to offer I would start it.  It seems you are feeling the same about the microphone section Max?  From my vantage point you have both the expertise and the personality to set up something new.

All the best,
Ruairi

Our shop stopped sending Brad work, we kept sending stuff back to have it redone, and got tired of...his "style".

At one time due to my relationship with "mixerman" and those guys Brad got our work, but it just got to be to much trouble having stuff redone.

We will gladly consider any guys here...

We have since decided there is more than one way to skin a cat anyone who suggest there is only one way doesn't know cats.

ruairioflaherty said:
IMHO the net needs a new mastering hang out

I really miss Glenn Meadows board. There isn't much traffic these days. The old mix of people was pretty good and Glenn kept it focused but somewhat relaxed and respectful. It seems like the ME gig attracts fussy people. I'm not particularly fussy. PSW mastering does have a bit of a frat boy hazing vibe. I got my fill of making fun of the handicapped in high school.

Latest posts

Back