Midi remote for Alesis HD24

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's some intermittent discussion at the HD24 forum on Yahoo; seen it?  I'd start over there.

My gut says the best bet is some sort of implementation in conjunction with the HD24tools project.  Might at least provide the basic tools.  It is open-source, and he encourages contributions, both creative and financial.  I was pretty excited after playing with the Mac release available last fall.  Still has some problems, but solves far more than it creates, compared to the stock Alesis software.  I still can't get either software to play well with 88.2K and 96K.  Anyone who hasn't checked it out should do so.  The upcoming version looks good:

http://ringbreak.dnd.utwente.nl/~mrjb/hd24tools/preview.html

Sorry if you already know this but best success has been either the Alesis BRC or one by JL Cooper (forget the model but its a discontinued one).

Jim

Everything that works is discontinued and I am thinking about building a piece of hardware to to arm and disarm tracks.  I am sick of the little buttons. 

The only new piece of gear is this: www.frontierdesign.com/download/pdf/TranzPort/TranzPort_HD24_Bridge.pdf

But you have to scroll through all the track numbers to arm or disarm a track.  I want a button,  one that fits my fat little fingers.  :)

If all you want is track arming, buy a used BRC for $100.  You also get most transport controls too.  BUT, there are some weird work arounds to deal with.  44.1 is still weird, clocking doesn't work right unless you set the BRC to external word clock (with none connected(?!?), etc etc.  No 88.2/96 of course...  Oh well....never mind!    ::) ;D

Isn't the Transport dependant on a PC to function?

You can easily make your own arming remote but you must do some PIC or similar programming as well as buy or build the PCB to house the electronics.
The MIDI data for most of the transport functions are available.

Otherwise the BRC is still a good solution.

Jim

kml23956 said:
Everything that works is discontinued and I am thinking about building a piece of hardware to to arm and disarm tracks.  I am sick of the little buttons. 

The only new piece of gear is this: www.frontierdesign.com/download/pdf/TranzPort/TranzPort_HD24_Bridge.pdf

But you have to scroll through all the track numbers to arm or disarm a track.  I want a button,  one that fits my fat little fingers.  :)

Better to parallel the front panel switches with a dedicated device or with a MIDI to switch contact controller.  I think that the HD24 MIDI implementation lacks the ability to do all of the front panel functions.  This is one of my back burner projects. ;)

Latest posts

Back