can I use existing PSU for SSL9k, green pre etc?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briomusic

Hi all,
I am fairly new to DIY, but have recently built (cloned) a few guitar pedals.
I think I am now ready to dip a toe into the vast ocean of diy mic pres.

To make things simpler and cheaper to begin with, I was hoping to 'borrow' the PSU from an existing piece of equipment in my studio and build a proper rack and PSU for the pre amp once I actually got it working and sounding nice.

The PSU's available to me are:

Chandler LTD-1: this one has a spare 4-way XLR to connect a second chandler box. The voltages available are +/-28 Volt and 48 Volt. Is this too high? Can I reduce the voltage using a voltage divider or will this affect the voltages on the other connector too?

Roland Rack Mixer: this one has +/-15 Volt as well as 48V Phantom.

API 500 rack: a bit hard to get too unless I build some sort of break out box/card to supply leads to the card slot at the back of the lunchbox. not my favourite idea.

This is a great board, I hope it's okay to post this here, I haven't seen any other posts where anyone attempts to do this sort of thing (maybe because it's a bad idea? if so, please tell me!)

TIA.
brio

28v is too high for every preamp project here. (that I know of.)

However +/- 15 is perfect for Green Preamp, SSL9k, and API, three very popular pres around here.

Welcome!

Latest posts

Back