Universal Audio Solo 110 schematics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpartipilo

I have a Solo 110 that i bought on the cheap because it has some noises in the output..  I'm planning to fix it but i called UA about the schematics and they told me that they do not release schematics to the public but i have ran into that before and has been able to find them around.. 

If you can help with this let me know!

tube circuits are not usually too hard to trace ,
look at the larger value plate resisters [ 100k ish ]
use freeze spray , could a " thermal  ' type noise from these

YUP class A solid state.  It is still not hard to trace since preamp circuits are simple.
I'd bet is noise from the power supply leaking but i don't have my scope back yet, but a schematic for sure will be handy.

Well I use the hand grenade method of troubleshooting and just replace everything! Well not really but you could replace the transistors with ones that test high hfe. And my UA 610's are notorious for tube sockets. Are there any sockets in there? Maybe a pic?

John

I've seen the 110 naked, and I think it is a fairly elaborate desgin. Very nice sounding, too, IMO.
It's almost entirely FET based, there's even a number of nice Toshiba duals.
I'd love to see the schematic.

Naked Solo 110:
SOLO110_inside_hq.jpg

What's that input trafo? Any markings?

And anyone know about those (lytic?) caps? The metal can ones?  They're widely used in computer boards and stuff... Don't know much about them.

yes, SMD electrolyts.
Nothing interesting to add, except that you must use a lot of heat when you want to desolder them (otherwise you'll tear off the solderpads).  Consider them as normal electrolyts. The legs (not wires but small strips) are folded towards the centre, soldered to surface solderpads.

mitsos said:
What's that input trafo? Any markings?

The one I saw had an Altran, I think the same type they use for their Solo 610 tube pre. Which makes sense for a FET input.
Personally, I liked the Solo 110 better than the 610.

UA is a great company and I doubt they would charge alot to fix it. They take pride in their work. I asked if it was ok to replace all the tubes in my 610's and they said they encouraged experimentation. And would not void my warranty. You might want to send it to them. That's what I would do.

John

Thanks for the pic, i have not had a chance to take mine but that's a great pic of it.

I got the unit cheap enough that having them repair it make financial sense but i'm learning electronics and messing with building some of my equipment and would like to give it a try to at least figure out the problem. I don't have my scope back yet but i'm sure the problem is something really simple since everything in the preamp works.  The only problem is noise in the output which is either a faulty resistor, a leaking cap or a bad transistor.  the noise does not get worse as i increase gain or output or by turning phantom on or off it stays the same.

I'd be willing to bet is one of the power supply caps gone bad but i have to check that first.

I also don't agree with companies not releasing schematics unless they give like 10 year warranties. if i was living in my country it would make no sense to send a unit back to the states for repair but with the schematic i could have a tech there fix it.

Latest posts

Back