need some help with an 'effect' in pro tools

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asm

ok, stupid question possibly.
i'm wondering if there is a method, or plugin to do what i'm trying to accomplish...
i'm trying to 'hold' or 'sustain' a sound for a set amount of time.

say for example i have a sound file of a car accelerating and i want to take a section of that and make it where i can loop it without swelling or clipping. so it sounds like the car is driving at a set speed.

sorry for any confusion. maybe i'm going about this the wrong way!
thanks for any help!
taylor

i dont know about pro tools...but in the software i use, i generally work on the soundclips as a file alone..
i just copy and past portions and speed up/slow down/crossfade as needed.
takes a few, but i just do it that way.
you could probally do a  time stretch without changing pitch if that option is available but if you stretch it too much it sounds funny.

If your sound file of the car is constantly accelerating then it will be a bit tricky.
You need a "steady" moment where the "pitch" of the file stops rising, then you can
make a "loop" of that and repeat it, crossfading the file where required.

If it's constantly rising in pitch, you'll hear the wuup-wuup-wuup of the sound as you repeat
rather than a steady "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

Make sense ?
MM.

Sounds pretty difficult to steal a piece of a soundfile that has changing pitch & trying to loop it to maintain a constant pitch. The one possibility is if the acceleration is very slow, you could nick a small piece & loop it but do alternate forward & reverse loops.

So it would play forward, back, forward, back etc. The pitch change might be too obvious! One could try "smearing" it to reduce the obvious change with some low level delay.

My first thought was to find a similar sound in a library of a car travelling at a constant speed & then pitching the whole sample to the required pitch.

Peter

Yeah just sample the car sound and use your sequencer/keyboard to hit it at the right pitch. And it will run forever. It will be a "Note" on your keyboard.

On another note there is an auditory trick to make a car or motorcycle sound like it keeps shifting forever up in gears. An infinite loop but I forget how to do it... But I didn't have my coffee yet I'll try to remember.

John

Back