trying to figure out this fuzz face circuit...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

http://www.geocities.com/teleman28056/fuzz_face_schematics.html

Does this look like something that will work to you guys? I am using 2n2222's cause I've got them here, but I am having no joy (no signal coming through.) I could give more info first, but I want to see if you guys think this will work first of all. I'm just trying to learn from this...Thanks.
Joel

The most common problem is having the transistors oriented wrong. Double check it first. E-B-C is the most common pin configuration for 2N devices.

regards, Jack

> Does this look like something that will work..?

Yes, of course it will work (as an amplifier). It isn't even fussy about the transistors. Very stable and predictable. Most-every discrete phono stage ever made uses a variation on this.

Second collector voltage will run about 6V-5V. If you are not getting that, you wired it wrong.

I have not stopped to figure out how it fuzzes (though I'm sure it can) because you say "no signal" and you have to get past that first.

thanks guys-I was doing this here with no DMM-just at home having fun. I'll bust out the meter in the morning and look to see what's going on...

Joel

joel-

if you get into the sound of the fuzzface, I can send you a pair of germanium transistors if you want to try a "real" version which Ive beeen in love with for years. I have some ok toshibas that sound decent for a fuzzface.

dave

If you want a Si FF type build some of mine Aron's stompbox page has them in schematics.

Go here http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/index2.html , click the Schematics link, and scroll down to GCS/Gus Smalley

OK-I got it to work. Strange I replaced the transistors and it worked-I was using the 2n2222A's and they were backwards from the data sheets specs-I wonder if the "A" part switches the collector and emitter? anyway-I replaced it with others and it works now. Thanks guys! Now I sound just like Jimi! :wink:

Joel

I'm telling nothing new: FF is a very nice circuit indeed. I finally found out... :wink:

I recently converted a Dunlop JH-2
(originally using Si and even one darlington at that)
into the 'Boutique version' (read: the F*u*l*l*t. '(70-1)-pedal)
and it came out very nice.
Really amazing what two Ge-devices, four pots and some small stuff can do.

Couldn't find a good pair of AC128's with the right current
gains and low enough leakage so I went for the OC44 which
turned out a lot easier to implement. (I know, I should have used these
devices for two Rangemasters...)

I haven't checked its datasheet, but it looks like the OC44
is a device with an inherently lower leakage current.

Bye,

Peter

Latest posts

Back