2254C build/support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the same issue, with a resistor smoking when the trimmer in a full cw or ccw position (don't remember which one) in my 1272 build some time ago. I would set the  trimmer to the middle position before switching on the unit.

syn said:
I would set the  trimmer to the middle position before switching on the unit.

yep :) also,
for people without a scope,
keep the V around 1.8V on RV1 trimer-to-ground...

SIXTYNINER : check  the first page. Igor has some clear pictures....

***got it figured out, sometimes the catalog is way easier to navigate than the website***

I noticed some heat sinks in Igor's pics on Tr"3 (the 2n3055) does anyone have a mouser part#, I'm having a hard time sorting out what to order.

Thanks!

makin progress on my first DIY project!  Just need to get ahold of some iron...

http://gallery.me.com/hal9thousand#100003/Neve%202254C%20project
http://gallery.me.com/hal9thousand#100003/Neve%202254C%20PCBs%20&bgcolor=black

substitute said:
I noticed some heat sinks in Igor's pics on Tr"3 (the 2n3055) does anyone have a mouser part#, I'm having a hard time sorting out what to order.
Thanks!

farnell : 4621359

those are littler larger than the Igor 's ones... but they still fit..

due damaged lorlin (left attack) , sound samples will be available next week.
kam

I need some help.  First off, this is my first DIY project, so i'm a VERY green newbie.  Is 2254C for a first DIY ambitious approaching the point of stupidity?  perhaps, but i'm already knee deep and i think i'm holding my own pretty well.
That said, i'm using igor's kit and besides an issue of some missing connectors and resistors, i'm a bit confused about some of the cap values.  perhaps someone here who's also using the kit can help me.  the only spots left to fill on the pcb are:

C3" - 4n7
C4" - 680u
C'4/C"4 - 80u
C'7/C"7 - 47
C'17/C"17 - 400u
CZ - 10n

I assume C10 stays empty...

here's all i've got left in the kit:

electrolithic -
- 100uF 50v
- 1000uF 25v
- 330uF 25v
- 470uF 35v
- 10uF 63v (x2)

poly/cog -
- WIMA 0.01 100-

another black rectangular cap labeled as follows:
CX16J
476M 9
9843 D

and another yellow axial cap labeled as follows:
S&E 1 22R
.0047 K
50VDC
8333 E
8424 E

and i'm not sure what should go where.  other than this, i'm totally stuffed and in the midst of trying to sell off other gear so i can buy a set of carnhills...

sorry for the quality of the pics... its lap_top camera...
farnell damaged my front plates, ( you can see the edges are all bent, and i bent them back) until i get my new plates, i have been messing around with fronts, but i think like it...
they look much better in real life.
Photo56.jpg

Photo57.jpg

ohhh, top one is my favorite one :) EZ1290 line in... it will be 8ch NEVE summing box, in near future...
Photo60.jpg

i was going to send some sound samples, but this compressor has an endless possibilities....
i was thinking  of adding a mod for 200ms release, but its funny, that you can get away with different
settings... as i said... it has endless possibilities... i will send better pictures, once i borrow a proper camera.

thanks again Igor, and all the DIY community here in Prodigy.  
kam

SENT many emails with all documentation about ,
to the "MR" IGOR .....
but no reply at now!!! ..........for case i have to call my Lawyer ??????

IS THIS SERIOUS?????????????????????????????
??? ??? ??? ??? ???
[/quote]

strange attitude...

Sixtyniner,

the problem maybe in fact a few things,

Firstly I find it hard to understand you, pictures? they are on the first page, pictures of mine? I dont have a camera that can take close enough pictures to be of any use to you as I said to you before, but that’s not proper DIY any way, copying some else mistakes, sure enough if you have problems later on it may help but you have not started your builds so why do you require pictures.

Lets be honest this is not even what I would call REAL DIY, Igor has already made it incredibly easy for you.

Secondly all the information is here, I got stuck a few times too, but look a the diagrams,

I’m quite happy to help where I can as indicated in my PM’s but for what ever reason I am not able to help then continued pestering via PM is not the way to carry on..

I would suggest you start with building Lego, then work up from there...

Kambo,

great build, built like a tank!

Can i ask why you did not solder the transformers on to the PCB? was it so you could make changes later on?

Great job, for me one of the best pieces i have built.

Pete

even though I have yet to complete my build (still building the studio to put the gear  :eek:)

I opted for not getting a complete kit and part of the fun is researching my own components etc.
That still meant I had a HUGE amount of sorting, value testing & double checking to make sure the values were right etc...
Not to mention that Import duty I got stung for buying from Mouser which I could have avoided had I gone with the kit

I'm using this forum and the community as my source of information and I'm very grateful for the folk here who contribute with tips/ideas etc.

Thanks everyone for a great forum

thank you Pete.
not as good as your ones, but i am sure they sound the same :)

reason i didnt solder the transformers ;
in case of easy repair and option to try different iron in future...

updated tranie guide:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=32605.msg420310#msg420310

check with the schematic. download carnhill transformers guide from audiomaintenance.com
read all available 33609 pages.
read BA283 pages
read original 2254 thread... ( very first one )
for calibration, refer to 33609 pages. leave "attack" at fast when calibrating ( 8'o clock).

some cap values on kit may not match pcb.... but Igor already mentioned that... leave those ones to last,
you will find them where they belong.

i have no digital camera either. but, i referred to Igor's pictures at first page.
i only got stuck at interstage transformer wiring, due, schematic and old tranie... other than that, i am a beginner and
worked at first fire up... first calibration was 0.3. after placing everything in to case, re-calibrated and its 0.1db now.

Igor's kit may look messed up at first. but it was very cleaver and structured way he did. he separated main pcb and controller parts in different packing. thats way it looks messy, until you understand whats going on.
i dont think, anyone here on prodigy doing kits, has time for packing every single component to different plastic bag with specific labeling, as farnell or mouser.

measure each component before solder anyway... even if you get them from mouser.... it took my couple of hours to sort Igor's kit. and labeling them, and separating them for main pcb and controller pcbs. i even made some changes on kit components... i used different tant and soldered them from the other side of the pcbs on controller boards etc... so, if you see mine pcb's in detail you may get well confused...

i am pretty new to here... but i have realized, if i ask something already answered, ..........
will delete this post later this week to keep the thread clean... as everything is covered before.
kam

sixttynine

i'm not entertaining you any more,

suffice to say i think you are showing every one why I did not leap to help you..

sinestaraudio said:
sixttynine
i'm not entertaining you any more,
suffice to say i think you are showing every one why I did not leap to help you..

sixttynine i must agree with Pete.

you are missing the point. everybody has its own way to finish this project.
i have even changed some resistor values from the kit. read Igor's %2 comment....
if you are not able to solder the switches....., well then....
2254 is not entirely a beginners project.

everything else you need to finish this project is here.
kam

on each forum on WORLD WILD WEB, there the same specimen! hater!

but Pete I must , I think you're quite suffisant, showing everybody your truely beautifull and well builded gear like you were touched by the DIY God hand.
it's very annoying...could you just be a loser like everyone else. ;D

ok, just joking  ----> I'm out.

OK i think you are missing the point,

but lets start again, what exactly do you require? what is it you need help with?

Back