2254C build/support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello! Just tryin to bump this... distraction is advisable. If anyone can help me pointing me towards right direction about these trannys i would really apreciate it.

Thanks a lot yall .. I hope u guys have a good year

EDIT: if what i asked is just plain stupid please tell me .. ill keep re-reading untill something clicks

Hi,

When I do a search for 1N4153 diode, the 1N4454 keeps comming up... ???
And some sites are showing the 4153 as "discontinued".

Anyone know if 1N4454 diode is an acceptable replacement for the 1N4153?
Specs seam close but not exactly the same.

Sylvain D. said:
Hi,

When I do a search for 1N4153 diode, the 1N4454 keeps comming up... ???
And some sites are showing the 4153 as "discontinued".

Anyone know if 1N4454 diode is an acceptable replacement for the 1N4153?
Specs seam close but not exactly the same.

Never tried 1N4454. You can match them by 2 Vf points, like we do, (say, 5V, 1k and 10k, dpdt switch, IC socket and 4+ digits multimeter) and try.
First, lower current, second, higher current (due to heating of diode). They have to be at same temperature, use tweezer, not hands.
I posted the procedure here, just dig some pages back...
Statistically, need 20 diodes from same batch to get 8 of them matched, or about 200 diodes to make 20 matched eights.
We still have some matched eights of 1N4153 in stock.

Thanks Igor,

BTW, should the eight 4153 that came with kit be matched?
I verified them, (using diode setting on my meter) and  they all seem very close except one of them seems a little off...

(For measument can I use diode setting on my multimeter. It has 2 digit accuracy. Or should I use your method?

Hello,

I finished my first DIY project.
It sounded so good that I was satisfied.
Thanks Igor.

However, after I played with it for few hours, I felt 2dB steps of make-up and threshold were too big for me.
Also, I want to replace the recovery time to 50mS, 200mS or add them.
So I am wondering if there's someone that has resistor value info.

Attachments

• P1000438.jpg
    P1000438.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 123
dakiniz said:
Hello,

I finished my first DIY project.
It sounded so good that I was satisfied.
Thanks Igor.

However, after I played with it for few hours, I felt 2dB steps of make-up and threshold were too big for me.
Also, I want to replace the recovery time to 50mS, 200mS or add them.
So I am wondering if there's someone that has resistor value info.

For makeup, you can use ELMA switch and get 21 steps. Need to cut the board. In case you going to implement 21 steps switch,
just write, will post the board picture and where to cut.
Recovery: r10, 11 on front panel. Math: twice lower R is faster twice.

Sylvain D. said:
Thanks Igor,

BTW, should the eight 4153 that came with kit be matched?
I verified them, (using diode setting on my meter) and  they all seem very close except one of them seems a little off...

(For measument can I use diode setting on my multimeter. It has 2 digit accuracy. Or should I use your method?

Hm... Little off.
The eights supplied with kit are matched within 1-2% on two Vf points.
What are the values? Take into account, tweezer and same room temperature ;)
Should be OK, in case of whatever, just let me know and I will ship another 8 if one diode of your eight measures wrong.

OK Igor,

I just checked my multimeter specs and the diode setting verrifies "forward voltage drop", not "current". (So, my bad :-[)
So I trust that your diodes are matched :)

Thanks Igor.

Hopefully, they are ;)
In any case, recheck, the tester should give very close readings (within 1-2%) on all 8 diodes.
If somehow one shows bit less/more, it had higher/lower temperature when tested.
Don't hesitate in this case ask me to send another checked eight, will happily do it for free.

Whoop! Got the kit on the mail today! (Actually yesterday but i just arrived from a gig) Tidy packaging, sexy looking pcbs.. This smells like a winner!

Thanks a lot igor! Ill check all parts in there and do the matching diodes hopefully i get some time during the week!

I think now is the time to think about the transformers and all! I guess simplest is go for the carnhills.. I have not found cinemags (due to my lack of experience) altho i would like them very if possible.

Anyways.. Thanks again!

Igor said:
Cool! Arrived within a month, right?

well to be completely honest man.. israeli post i think is top notch. it arrived into mexico (sealed on the box) by 10 days... hehe then here it lagged for another 4 weeks give or take.

thanks a lot tho :) all is great here i still havent been able to check all the components but i reckn its all there.
so nice and tidy ! i dont want to open the bags yet untill i get a day or two to do it properly.

i sent email to cinemag but they havent come back with anything yet.. been about a month ... i really almost throwing the towel with that now.

all the best!

Hi Igor,
i've finished mine, but while trying to calibrate the unit,
i found a problem with the gain trimmer,
it doesn"t work on both channels, i will try to unsolder and change,
but do you have any leads to troubleshoot this problem ?
otherwise everything seems to work ok,
thanks for your help,
Francois

hey yall!  im just starting to separate the components from the kit and label them.. lot of work but wow can see igor put a lot of effort doing these kits .. thanks a lot for that!! anyways, i see there is nothing like IC sockets which is ok but something to do the matching with the diodes. i think i read on this thread igor or someone is using some milimax standoffs or something? i would love to know how i can search for them on mouser (by what name?) or if anyone has the part number i`d be greatful!

thanks a lot :)

ok problem solved, those sh**** trimpots were blocked in 5k,
don't know why, but i changed them for Bourns ones and now it works like a charm,
so let's finished calibration for this gem !!
thanks again Igor for such a great projetc !!
regards,
Francois

hey! just an update.. i almost finished separating and locating everything. its all there!(almost). just a couple of things im not 100% sure ill post tomorow with pictures if possible.
from the top of my head.. i think the tantalums i wasnt sure (there were 4x10uF inside a lil baggy all on their own.. also a few 10uF electrolythic that i think should be axial are radial.
i got a couple of questions tho..

does anything have to be grounded with standoffs? do i have to get metal standoffs? (i was going to anyways but.. the next question)
does anyone know about those separators that go like standoffs but between the pcbs? how can i look for those too?

also was going to ask if 1N4004 could be replaced with 1n4007 but i think looking at the BOM from the power supply the answer is yes?

from looking at bom from power supply also, then if i instal R5 to make it 24V, i dont need the NI trimmer?

im excited about this project ! going to have a read thru again just to make sure i dont miss anything before i get to put all together.
thanks a lot!

ptron said:
Igor said:
Cool! Arrived within a month, right?

well to be completely honest man.. israeli post i think is top notch. it arrived into mexico (sealed on the box) by 10 days... hehe then here it lagged for another 4 weeks give or take.

thanks a lot tho :) all is great here i still havent been able to check all the components but i reckn its all there.
so nice and tidy ! i dont want to open the bags yet untill i get a day or two to do it properly.

i sent email to cinemag but they havent come back with anything yet.. been about a month ... i really almost throwing the towel with that now.

all the best!

Regarding the shipping: you had some luck :)
About 88% of packages are arriving within 2-3 weeks.
About 10% of packages arriving within a month+. Really, don't know what possible to do with this.

Cinemags are not the only trannies on a planet, you can source Beclairs (TF10015/16) or Carnhills.
EA10468 and EA1066 are good too, I used them several times for 2254C.

ptron said:
hey yall!  im just starting to separate the components from the kit and label them.. lot of work but wow can see igor put a lot of effort doing these kits .. thanks a lot for that!! anyways, i see there is nothing like IC sockets which is ok but something to do the matching with the diodes. i think i read on this thread igor or someone is using some milimax standoffs or something? i would love to know how i can search for them on mouser (by what name?) or if anyone has the part number i`d be greatful!

thanks a lot :)

8x 1N4153 are already matched, they are located in separate bag. Resistors for control and main PCB are located in separate bags too, more or less in logic order.
IC sockets: don't need them. Solder diodes and TL072 directly. I pulled sockets for diodes from regular 14 pin IC socket in first 2254C's; not necessary IMO,
why have I change them if diodes are already matched???

Price - wise: as long as I building 2254C for my customers from time to time, have to hold stock of components.
This way, I prefer to sell kits for reasonable price and buy parts in significant qty's to reduce my own investment in inits I build.
For example, sourcing same components for one compressor from 2 suppliers will cost you bit more than kit.
In other words, everybody are happy.

pacemaker said:
ok problem solved, those sh**** trimpots were blocked in 5k,
don't know why, but i changed them for Bourns ones and now it works like a charm,
so let's finished calibration for this gem !!
thanks again Igor for such a great projetc !!
regards,
Francois

Dat's great! Very happy to hear about this.
Francois: pls let me know if received the last package. (shipping, again!!! Talk to me on skype).

ptron said:
hey! just an update.. i almost finished separating and locating everything. its all there!(almost). just a couple of things im not 100% sure ill post tomorow with pictures if possible.
from the top of my head.. i think the tantalums i wasnt sure (there were 4x10uF inside a lil baggy all on their own.. also a few 10uF electrolythic that i think should be axial are radial.
i got a couple of questions tho..

does anything have to be grounded with standoffs? do i have to get metal standoffs? (i was going to anyways but.. the next question)
does anyone know about those separators that go like standoffs but between the pcbs? how can i look for those too?

also was going to ask if 1N4004 could be replaced with 1n4007 but i think looking at the BOM from the power supply the answer is yes?

from looking at bom from power supply also, then if i instal R5 to make it 24V, i dont need the NI trimmer?

im excited about this project ! going to have a read thru again just to make sure i dont miss anything before i get to put all together.
thanks a lot!

10uF blue electrolitics, Philips audio grade, yep, radial ones.

Standoffs: I use metal standoffs with plastic isolators or plastic standoffs for main board.
Main board shouldn't be grounded at standoffs. I used ground schem from the power supply starground.
BTW, you see on power supply two pads, G4 at top, nonamed at bottom, and hole marked G2. Connect them together; install power supply on metal standoffs,
for me it worked like a charm with all 2254C's, all quiet as Addams cemetery.

r5=3k57, NotInstall the trimmer.

1n4004 or 4007, no matter (should be general purpose diode, 1A)

Cool than... Please satisfy my curiosity and show working unit's pictures!

Ah yep. Standoffs.

http://il.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=2017+204566+110001433+110180770+110142509+110202977+110195958+110131736+110174377+110131754+110163773&Ntk=gensearch&Ntt=hex+standoff&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&No=0&getResults=true&appliedparametrics=true&locale=en_IL&divisionLocale=en_IL&catalogId=&skipManufacturer=false&skipParametricAttributeId=&prevNValues=2017+204566&mm=1000922||,1002799||,1002275||,&filtersHidden=false&appliedHidden=false&autoApply=true&originalQueryURL=%2Fjsp%2Fsearch%2Fbrowse.jsp%3FN%3D2017%2B204566%26Ntk%3Dgensearch%26Ntt%3Dhex%2Bstandoff%26Ntx%3Dmode%2Bmatchallpartial%26No%3D0%26getResults%3Dtrue%26appliedparametrics%3Dtrue%26locale%3Den_IL%26divisionLocale%3Den_IL%26catalogId%3D%26skipManufacturer%3Dfalse%26skipParametricAttributeId%3D%26prevNValues%3D2017%2B204566

Just look for hex standoffs; m3; 5 or 6 mm height for bottom/pwer supply and 28-35mm between main boards.

yeah! thanks a lot for the quick reply ! :) kit is all in order. zeners .. well by deduction and elimination i think there is no other choice.. also JE 371 couldnt read it labeled on it but theyr the only ones left.

just one 120K missing from the kit but thankfully i got 2 from previous gssl builds :)

great! thanks again!. soldering the resistors on main boards now

ps. will post pics of finished unit count on it! :) ordered ST7 mtrs like you recommend. tat makin a case for me so will look real nice! :)

about trannies id like the least THD possible i havent seen belclare but i thought were even more pricey than carnhills. anyways .. still thinkin bout it . will look into belclair ! ... i think ill go for carnies

About PS...
I connect "G4 pad" and "no name pad" thru "G2 hole"? like with the leg of a resistor (or wire ) going from one pad to the other?

just to know what to order if carnhills... i thought trannies from carnhill were 9045 9046 and 9049 (2x each for my stereo kit) more detailed on next post

also.. if i go for carnhill R54 and C19 stay like overlay says? i saw also CZ and RZ i guess those also would change if i use other tranny than carnhill? (maybe?)

AH BTW... on BOM R"19 = 1k on overlay =820R (i take it BOM is the right one since thats the one that  came on the kit?)
also if i want to make the attack and recovery a bit faster which 10uF i have to make smaller? will 2.2uF be ok? maybe 4u7.. and does it have to be Low ESR or low leakage or something?

cheers igor! since i opened this box the whole thing smells like a new car :D sort of speak

EDIT : ive finished soldering the resistors i found some things..

*R34 47K  is missing on BOM and on the kit.. (should it be 11x47k per channel?)

2x 1M resistors extra on the kit
2x 27R extra on the kit.

been a long day! tomorow ill do the rest :D will update when i finish puttin it all together.

just a thought.. the ceramics 0.1uF can be exchanged for some poliester ones? i got tons of both but i am wondering if it would change the sound somehow?

Latest posts

Back