2254C build/support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
duantro said:
ptron said:
duantro said:
I'm starting to get it together.I wish I had more time to work on it.
Next to start drilling mounting holes for the standoffs and try to find an IEC receptacle that will fit Parusha's case.

One question- is the 2N3055 supposed to be elevated to allow it to cool or is it to keep from shorting out.
I mounted it flush and am wondering if I should pull it out and reinstall new ones?

i think this is good for the case http://mx.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=6200.2300virtualkey69300000virtualkey693-6200.2300
Thanks Ptron, I was looking at those but wasn't sure about the measurements being exact.

Have you installed your transformers? I'm going to do mine as most others have appeared to do, by side mounting with zip ties on pcb and using the molex connectors. The mounting holes appear to be for marinair, etc.

I'm also wondering about the psu pin 2 connection wire also. Have you sorted this out?
Cheers

thanks ! i thought it was my pee brain that didnt understand the sketch about transformers. (maybe it is)
about PSU whhich pin 2 are you talking about?
i got a doubt about PSU where the unnamed pad on the back, G2(hole) and G4(pad) go , should i join the 2 pads thru G2 hole  and solder the 3 together? is this a ground link?

i havent installed the trunnies but i will as soon as i get some time off. your post here has helped me to decide thanks a lot!

ill keep u posted! im glad there is some movement in this thread!
best
ill keep u posted

EDIT: BTW! the IEC inlets do fit on Tat`s case cutout, but theyre not for pressure fit so will have to drill a couple of holes on the sides of the square hole to mount properly... (just to let u know)

ptron said:
thanks ! i thought it was my pee brain that didnt understand the sketch about transformers. (maybe it is)
about PSU whhich pin 2 are you talking about?
i got a doubt about PSU where the unnamed pad on the back, G2(hole) and G4(pad) go , should i join the 2 pads thru G2 hole  and solder the 3 together? is this a ground link?

i havent installed the trunnies but i will as soon as i get some time off. your post here has helped me to decide thanks a lot!

ill keep u posted! im glad there is some movement in this thread!
best
ill keep u posted

EDIT: BTW! the IEC inlets do fit on Tat`s case cutout, but theyre not for pressure fit so will have to drill a couple of holes on the sides of the square hole to mount properly... (just to let u know)

I tried wrapping my brain (pea sized bits as well) around the transformer pcb mounts also for quite a while, until I decided it would be easiest to just use the molex connectors as others that used Carnhill's photo's had indicated.

I ordered the same power inlet as you linked, from the mouser catalog, only I got the "H" version which is the snap in mount. Thanks for that tip.

The only thing that I can deduct from the extra needed wire connection on the psu is the G2 hole looks to have been run to star ground at rear of case. See the photo from Igor's build (page 1, pic 4) and this photo copied from Matta's post (pg 18).
I'm not sure if anything else extra needs to be connected on psu?

Attachments

• 2254c_guts.jpg
    2254c_guts.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 136
I finally got this thing put together. It fires up with no black smoke!!
Tomorrow I will take it to the studio and see how it sounds. I can't wait.

Attachments

• 2254c1.jpg
    2254c1.jpg
    948.4 KB · Views: 176
I remember to have replied to your previousmsg! Sorry bout that! Sketchy ipad playing with me. Im about to get corageous and get the molex together. Color coded them so should be all good. Im in the building of my studio so im very behind all this.
Sounds promising the " no smoke " situation congrats!  Was your theory about the psu right?

All the best!

Well after sending signal to it…….this thing sings! It sounds great! I really like the hpf section. It's going to give my 525's a battle for the drum buss duties! Now to try to make heads or tails of the calibration procedure.
Ptron, the g2 to star ground seems to be correct, as far as I can tell.
I am noticing a little hum in the right channel at max listening volume on my console. Is it possible that my output tranny is too close to my power molex wires?

I've got it calibrated, but still have a tiny hum on the right channel at max listening level. I've flipped the toroidal on its side to get it further away from the pcb. This seemed to have help a little but, I don't think it is the cause. Does anyone have any ideas?
I guess I could swap the left and right pcb to see if it's a component…..

I have it sorted out. Flipped the toroidal on its side, to gain 2 inches of distance from the pcb, and it helped. I also had slightly loose standoffs, that may have affected grounding. It's hum free now!

wikiiidd!!!! :)
i just fitting the molex today  had too much mastering to do last weeks!! studio construction finished too! (for the most part) so now i can get to finishing this beauty!! hope the rest of the stuff get here this week to get it closed and ready for the sontecs....

all the best! (jealous now about your hum free and perfect unit.) :D

one question, the rot. switches on mine i still havent trimmed them (i dont have the knobs yet and i dont know how is the best way so i dont damage the switches) u know anything bout this?

thanks!

Ptron- I'd wait until you get you knobs. I use my wife's dremel with a cutting wheel. She's a jeweler!
I'm almost at the point with my single unit that I just got. Don't forget to cut off the pins on the pots I you don't have set holes for them.

Hi everybody; I'm finnishing 2 2254's I have a little problem with the molex I didn't get enough of them to complete the comps. Does any body know the reference for those molex a digikey, mouser or radiospare reference would be greatly appreciated.
Thx
B

Hey Nobru,
Here is some Mouser numbers for Molex connectors, that is posted earlier in this thread.
Some of the power connectors are no longer available at Mouser. Let me know if you find any suppliers. If you can't find them, just solder wire to boards.
Part                        Qty.    Mouser part number
__________          ____    ______________
2PIN HEADER       3 538-22-23-2021
3PIN HEADER       2 538-22-23-2031
4PIN HEADER       3      538-22-23-2041
5PIN HEADER       6 538-22-23-2051
6PIN HEADER       2 538-22-23-2061
2PIN CONNECTOR 3 538-22-01-2025
3PIN CONNECTOR 2 538-22-01-2035
4PIN CONNECTOR 3 538-22-01-2045
5PIN CONNECTOR 6 538-22-01-2055
6PIN CONNECTOR 2 538-22-01-2065
.156KK 4P HEADER 1 538-26-64-4040
.156KK CONNECTOR 4P 1 538-09-91-0400
MOLEX CRIMP PIN 25 538-08-50-0032

thanks a lot dude! ill follow your advice and get the knobs first :)
damn .. been waiting for nearly 2 months for the meters and the toroid traffo! (bad idea to ask help on a project.. better do everything yourself)... no one is in the hurry i am for finishing it. anyways they should be here anytime and i can get on with it! finally.

Hello! Good to be around for a bit! Damn busy days lately.. What to do. Anyways.. I been looking for the nylon spacers to go between one and other pcb (to mount them vertically like Igor and Matta) i cant find the spacers i need i can only find things over m3 .. Smallest m 3.5 and it wont go thru the holes onthe pcb! Anyone has a mouser part number for it? Id be real greatful!

Thanks a lot!

Ok i think i got everything sorted. Just gettin the toroid connected, just checking... http://www.datasheets.org.uk/TA030-15*-datasheet.html

I need to go with my primaries in paralell and secondaries in series?

ptron said:
Ah sorry! Secondaries 15 0 15
I'm not sure, but I don't think this transformer will work here. I believe you need dual secondaries as opposed to one with a center tap. My limited experience with center tap transformers has been with supplying a + & - voltage, so I thought the secondary legs were out of phase.
This thread seems pretty dead, but anyone knowing this answer, feel free to chime in.
This is what I got.
http://hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=37

Latest posts

Back