D-LA2A Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RedNoise said:
Hi ,
Do you think UTC A25 would work fine in the DLA2A???
IIRC they're 15K/600 correct???
thanks.

This is a handy list:::
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=6518.0

EDIT:
and this would be handy too:::
http://www.waltzingbear.com/Schematics/UTC.html

Hi all,

So I think Ive decided to go with the edcor wsm15k/600 for the output tx. Now Im still trying to decide about the input. Ive read that a 1:1 tx is nice because of the reduced gain sensitivity but Im really having a hard time deciding on the brand. Jenson Sowter or Lundahl. Ive used Lundahl's on all my builds so far and really like the sound but I havent seen many guys use them in this circuit.
Looking for some help!!

I have stuck Edcor WSM's 600/15k inputs in mine for starters on the basis that once I had the DL2A up and running smoothly I would look towards new input transformers. Am about to replace them with Sowters I just purchased.

Am happy to report back results as soon as I am done.

is it ok to use 500v cap for the big 10uf?
I would like to use Sprague instead of Solen Fasten.

and second question:
for starter I will use only one channel cause money running low.
no problem to leave the second channel empty?

cheers!
Jr.

diyfanatic said:
is it ok to use 500v cap for the big 10uf?
I would like to use Sprague instead of Solen Fasten.
no problem, but watch the polarization.

diyfanatic said:
for starter I will use only one channel cause money running low.
no problem to leave the second channel empty?
this is no problem either

hi....i want to know if i can replace the sowter 4383 and 8940 with the sowter 1009 and 1010 that are the replacements of the original UTC....i have the original t4b optical cell from universal audio....

thanks

Hi thanks  :)

the transformers do not interact with the t4b.
put in whatever you want to try.
(which doesn't mean I tell you to order those specific parts for this PCB)

i have still some doubts......the 1009 and 1010 have very different ratios and impedance......have i to mod something to put in these transformers....?

without being an LA2A guru:
if those are replicas of the original transformers they should work without any modification.
(once upon a time I always though the 4383 and 8940 are the correct replicas, but what do I know)

Hi All,
I'm looking for the right power trafo for the Dual -LA2A anyone have the farnell code or other
Let me know
Thank you All
Fabio

Hi Audioman.

the power Tx is a custom one.
Here the specs.
RKT_f%C3%BCr_Dual_LA2A_no_price.JPG

http://www.mueller-rondo.com/

cheers.
Jr.

And whilst we are recommending stuff - anyone know where I could get a 2ru case made for this project?  I know perusha sells DLA2A cases but they are 3RU and my rack case is running out of precious spaces. If not a full case, maybe even just a front panel????

Thanks

ermetiko said:
i have still some doubts......the 1009 and 1010 have very different ratios and impedance......have i to mod something to put in these transformers....?

the 1009 (replacement for the A-10, which has a turns of 1:10) has a ratio of 1:9 which is closer to the A-10 than the 4383 which has a ratio of 1:4. The inputs are all 600:50K, so that isn't the problem.
I have encountered this issue as the symptom of massive amounts of gain.
So far may edit list to do is the 25k gain pot mod and using 12AU7s in the first stage instead of 12AX7s.
If anyone has any similar issues or suggestions, I'm all ears....
When I get to this mod, I'll report back.

Cheers!

to deuce42

Do It Yourself...

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

I will do mine in a 2u format, same issue...space...and I want only one channel fo now!
but the drilling will be made by myself, easy, only 2 pots and 2 switch.
lettering with stickers.

cheers.
Jr.

Deuce42:
IIRC 2U is tight regardin to the tubes.You'll have to "Dremel" your tubes standoff.
Have a look @ nrg , mentionned thread in the first post.

RedNoise said:
Deuce42:
IIRC 2U is tight regardin to the tubes.You'll have to "Dremel" your tubes standoff.
Have a look @ nrg , mentionned thread in the first post.
it is tight but can be done. we have seen some 2U D-LA2As, not only mine.
but do something for ventilation.
and yes, the 6AQ5 is a higher tube ...
(all others will fit well in a 2U rack)

Hi diyfanatic,
The web site is only in german language !! and unfortunately i'm not speak german language ...
Did you have ordered from that company the toroid and if yes how much it cost build one ??
Let me know
Thank you
Fabio

diyfanatic said:
Hi Audioman.

the power Tx is a custom one.
Here the specs.
RKT_f%C3%BCr_Dual_LA2A_no_price.JPG

http://www.mueller-rondo.com/

cheers.
Jr.

Audioman said:
The web site is only in german language !! and unfortunately i'm not speak german language ...
wrong:
DIY Projects
This section is for registered users to discussspecific projects and troubleshooting.
the thread is in english. navigation might be in german, I don't know how to test this.
(I'm not afflicted to this website in any way)
however, shouldn't be a problem

Back