new toy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

Just got a used NTV. Not a bad microphone a good 12at7 was installed by the former owner. looks like AV polypro caps, a blackgates and a jensen output transformer. I did not trace the circuit yet. Nice heavy duty build.

I am not a fan of the rode capsule design: However this NTV sounds good with male voice. I think it is mostly how the grill and capsule "work" together the grill has a fine mesh. There might be hope for all the nt1s sitting in closets. Drop a ELA M250 circuit in the nt1 body or the Royer for more tube sound or a VM1 circuit for more of the grill and capsule and less of the electronics it might be a good setup

Next time I have the ntv open I will take some picures.

wwhat are the differences between a stock NT1 and an NTV?

too many to comment on, or are they similar mics?

dave

I don't realy know I don't have a nt1. The pictures I saw of a nt1 look to have the same capsule mount and board used as a "backbone" The NT1 looks to have the same grill from pictures I have seen. I have not had my hands on a nt1.

After I got the ntv I opened it up and washed the grill and body with hot water and soap after spaying it with Alcohol . I wiped the mount down with Alcohol and then cleaned the capsule. I did note the board had a few voltages marked IIRC 230Vdc and 100Vdc it has two trim pots.

There is something about some of the rode microphones that gets my attention I think it is how they are built.

Edit
http://www.459audio.com/NT1.jpg

The ntv is edge term the nt1 is center. The cool thing is the nt1 is more like a neumann. A ef86 type tube and a 7:1 transformer. about 60 V at the capsule for good SN ratio. A vm1 circuit cardiod only look at the 800 type for capsule to grid hookup no grid R and 5.7 V at the fil. I would think it would be a very good microphone.

alo
dave,if i understand your question right,ntv,it`s a tube mic,and nt1,it`s not tube.
best regards
pedro

NTV tube,Nt1 solid state phantom.

After hearing the NTV and being told or reading people not likeing the nt1 alot. It made me think better electronics might help the NT1 alot.

I am talking gutting the nt1 expect for the body and capsule/grill and dropping in a good tube circuit.

[quote author="Gus"]The ntv is edge term the nt1 is center. The cool thing is the nt1 is more like a neumann. A ef86 type tube and a 7:1 transformer. about 60 V at the capsule for good SN ratio. A vm1 circuit cardiod only look at the 800 type for capsule to grid hookup no grid R and 5.7 V at the fil. I would think it would be a very good microphone.

I am talking gutting the nt1 expect for the body and capsule/grill and dropping in a good tube circuit.[/quote]

Ok. I'm game. Let's turn my NT1-A into a tube mic. :grin: I think it has the 797 capsule. I'll confirm that tonight and post some pics.

That is a very interesting grille on the NTV. Different from the other Rode grilles. Perhaps the symbiosis of capsule and grille did make a big difference for this design:
http://www.economik.com/Stock_File/rode-ntv/ntv.htm

As promised:

nt1a_capfront.jpg

nt1a_capback.jpg

nt1a_board.jpg

The picture looks like a nt1000 type circuit. I have a nt1000 that I changed a few parts in it is not that bad

I have not traced the whole nt1000 but it seems to be like some other name brand circuits. It is a little hard to work on because of the coating on the board.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=1155

IMO the NTV is the other decent mic that Rode made, appart from the Classic 1 and 2. They discontinued it because it was priced very close to the Classic 2 but doesnt have pattern switching/pad/HPF so people werent buying them.

They 'replaced' it with the NTK which is a very different mic, much cheaper and far less useful, but sadly ubiquitous because of its low cost. If you ever see a cheap NTV going, theyre worth checking out.

Like they said above, the NT1 is a completely different mic and has had many incarnations. I would have thought that replacing the electronics with a tube circuit would be difficult because of that big thick PCB that fills the inside of the mic, covered as it is in surfacemount parts.

M

[quote author="Gus"]It is a little hard to work on because of the coating on the board.[/quote]
Gus,
Have you tried washing the PCB with isopropyl alcohol? A lot of the conformal coatings will come off pretty easy that way. Another way is to use lots of no-clean fluux when soldering and to reflow a joint before trying to add any other components.

Thanks again for sharing.

HTH!
Charlie

[quote author="mattmoogus"]Like they said above, the NT1 is a completely different mic and has had many incarnations. I would have thought that replacing the electronics with a tube circuit would be difficult because of that big thick PCB that fills the inside of the mic, covered as it is in surfacemount parts.[/quote]

The main appeal of this mod is that the NT1-A has the same capsule as the B2 Pro (but cardiod only), which worked well in Gus's c800. http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=2528

The other motivator is that it really is poor sounding stock, so it's either mod or sell. Whether or not there is enough real estate inside the R0de body is yet to be seen. The board is thick and I don't see a clear space for the transformer, but the body and grille are similar to the NTV so it seems feasible.

I don't have the time or money to do it, but when has that ever stopped us? :razz:

The cardiod only sounds different than the multpattern one. Most of the time I like the multpattern better even using only one side in cardiod.

That said the NTV sounds good and it is the cardiod capsule I think there is something nice going on with that capsule and grill design with the NTV.

I would look at McMaster carr for thick fiberglass board to use as a frame for a tube circuit if you want a tube. I think the stock Royer one might sound very good with that capsule grill design

Latest posts

Back