Flying Faders II

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
    Warning to owners about the new Flying Faders II system - it leaves out some functions that were available on your original system.  You may prefer to keep your old software running, if you need to drop in write preset scenes of mutes and/or faders into running automations.  The new software doesn't include that, in fact the whole "Scenes and Presentations" section is missing.  If you have to mix anything longer than a song at a time, like a live concert or an Awards show, being able to save, and then drop in on the fly new fader levels or mute presets for the next song or scene saves a lot of time. Apparently they didn't think it was very important a feature for most users - even at the arm and a leg price.

If Martinsound reveals this in print or on their website, I sure couldn't find it. In fact they haven't made available any kind of version of manual yet, and the "Help" menus appear to be incomplete in the software too.  You have to call them to find this stuff out, and they seem more concerned with turning Neve's into big HUI's as soon as possible, then they are with providing the same basic functionality you had in Flying Faders I.  Why tie up a Neve to mix "in the box"?

And you need to buy a BIG monitor as well, you can't resize the working area of the software screen to the same size as the old version, you need binoculars to read it if you didn't have a huge screen already.

"Just Mix", indeed.  Someone talk to Joe, please.

Billy

it would have been cool if they implemented pro tools automation into flying faders... pass audio threw the fader but have control/edit capability with pro tools... oh well

I think tonelux is doing something along those lines with their fader packs.

Hard to say something constructive about the subject, hard to say anything bad about a GREAT company.  I guess there is a demand knocking on their door. 

Me, I'm getting requests for removing automation in consoles, or for fixed fader consoles. . .

Mike
PS: Wot, no TR?  Wot, no CONSOLE, dude!

Sarcastic Sound said:
it would have been cool if they implemented pro tools automation into flying faders... pass audio threw the fader but have control/edit capability with pro tools... oh well

I think tonelux is doing something along those lines with their fader packs.

Flying faders II will have hui emulation. That will work with pro tools until digi stops using it.

The thing to consider, as my users insist, is that the HUI resolution in PT is very limited. No comparison between HUI and Icon.  Forgot the stats here coughing dustballs under a console, but major.
No problem if you are using Newendo :smirk:
mike
ps: had dinner in Cambs with Martin, Bob, and Nigel circa 1989.  The three kings of moving fader automation, and alls I remember is that the venison was awesome!  And that they were more than mensch
pps: dam eyefon

Flying Faders II has DAW control via HUI. This is the same protocol that AMS-Neve, SSL, and everyone else must use to control Pro Tools, since AVID will not license the use of their ethernet protocol. Its resolution is not as fine as that of Flying Faders, but HUI is a great tool for many people and can work well in a hybrid workflow.

FFII uses its robust standalone automation, running alone or with DAWs or tape via SMPTE timecode. Flying Faders II is very intuitive, yet much fuller-featured than HUI or other moving fader automation systems. That's one of the reasons we are still making Flying Faders.

After extensive research when planning FFII Stores and Presentations wasn't mentioned by any Flying Faders users, so we put it at the bottom of the list to add (I don't have a timetable as to when that development might be complete). Two FFII adoptees have mentioned this - one very loudly - but again no one else has complained. There is a workflow workaround, adding steps to reach the same goal - anyone can contact us to receive support on this. I believe that the graphics issue has been addressed. The complete users manual is almost finished, too.

Gigantic Studios NYC, NRG Recording CA, Linda Perry’s Kung Fu Gardens CA, Blackbird Studios TN, Columbia College Chicago IL, NRG L. A., Metropolis UK, Quattro Uno Italy, Ca Va in Glasgow Scotland, Pluto Studios Israel, Give Records L.A., Dreamland NY, Oceanway Nashville...quite a few have upgraded to FFII.

Back