My ribbon mic build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

Well, I guess it's time to start assembling some DIY instead of just dreaming about it. First up: a ribbon microphone. I've opted for a very simple design, that doesn't require anything in the way of exotic parts, materials, and tools.

The body, for now, is going to be a piece of 1" copper pipe, and I'll be using 1" poplar dowel (I already checked for fit) for some of the inside structure. I have some flat iron for the magnet supports, and some copper mesh from McMaster-Carr for the screen. KISS all the way. :) I ordered an RMX-1 from EDCOR for the transformer and received that a couple of days ago. That was the last part I needed.

I'm still 50/50 on using the copper pipe for the body, and I'm willing to entertain other ideas. Since I already bought the copper mesh, I'd like to stick to the copper theme. I found a copper tea lantern on the web that has possibilities, but I don't feel like waiting for yet another order to come in, and I can't find anything locally that I like. One thought was to get a metal tin and make a lollipop-like mic.

I hope to have some pictures of the raw materials and start of the process up before the weekend is gone.

Hey,

I recently built a ribbon mic and used 1.5 tubing I found that is made for under the sink. I bought it Menards.  Here is a link to a pix. It worked great and I didnt have to finish it.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=31422.0

I aslo couldnt be happier with the sound. I recently used it to record a jazz trumpet in a live situation and it was fantastic.

Eric

How did you build your ribbon clamps? My plan thus far is to just use some cut-off pieces of Popsicle stick which will friction-fit between the two parallel pieces of flat-iron that the magnets are stuck to. I can't help but think I could do something a little more durable for not much more work/money. Thanks!

Its a little to hard to explain let me dig up some pics and I will post them.......

Eric

Here ya go

I made the frame from aluminium carbon and g10. I had to use g10 becouse you need to make sure the negetive side is shielded.  I also used copper to make the clamps.
Pic is worth a thousand words. Let me know if you have any questions.

ribbon001.jpg

ribbon003.jpg

ribbon005.jpg

Yeah, you have a lot more in the way of work and material put into that than I'm capable of. I have an alternate idea for a mic body I'm going to think about, and see if I can find the materials for locally. Thanks!

I just put that motor together really quickly with material I had laying around.You could use anything you want really. It just needs to be strong so it will hold the magnets appart. Also make sure the magnets you use are very strong. The ones I used are NEODYMIUM bar magnets. They are very strong. It will help keep the output level in usable range.

Eric

Yes you are correct. I used Carbon fiber board on the top, it is conductive so I had to use the g10 on the bottom.

Works well.
Eric

Latest posts

Back