Anyone know where to get the chicken head knobs for similar to TG ones ??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno "TG" but guitar-amp part shops like www.hoffmanamps.com have "chicken head knobs".

Click the picture.

Those were the knobs Ed Anderson tried to do a group buy for a while back but it never got enough support.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=29932.0

Sorry I do not have an answer on where to get them off the shelf.

Mike

> the ones I'm after are more angular

OK, I know the type.

Those are probably the old 5-lobe round knob, with added V-nick and a |_|-nick carved into the mold.

There is probably a 3/4-crate of them lost in a warehouse, unseen since Ike was in office.

In fact it looks JUST like example knobs from a human interface book published around 1960. Pilots and other harassed operators should NOT wonder which way a round knob is pointing, should NOT be likely to confuse radio with throttle... knobs should be distinctive and unique. That great idea lasted a week.

Try Nebraska Surplus. There are a couple other ham-radio junk shops in Middle America who may have knobs like that, though you might have to buy a whole radio module for the knobs.

A labor-intensive thought:

Nearly all such knobs are "cupcake mold", meaning all that you can see can slip out of a single mold like a cupcake. There would be another mold for the hidden side. Seems to me, though, with the explosion in resin plastic models, -somebody- could make a wax model, take a rubber mold, half-fill it with excess resin from larger projects, stick a cheap plain knob inside for an insert and set-screw (no back mold).

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/basics/jc_molds.htm

The hardest part may be "carving" a prototype. It can be wax or clay or wood, one-piece or stuck-together, whatever works; but it "must be perfect" because if one of the 5-lumps is off-size, or the chicken-beak is crooked, all your copies will have the same flaw and annoy your fingers.

Those Knobs are still manufactured by STOCKLI.

http://www.iec-monaco.com/entree_gb.htm

Click on STOCKLI knobs

Click on Boutons Bakelite

Click on CLASSIC

The one you want is called Manette fleche

This funky website is half in English, half in French, but people at IEC speaks English.
STOCKLI knobs are awfully expensive though....

Axel

Attachments

• classic manette fleche.gif
    classic manette fleche.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 392
mad.ax said:

Axel

Yes.  I also remember there being a fairly high minimum order too.  Someone who ended up using them on a Mellotron he built/refurbished recently told me that he believes the knobs are made by an old woman who's owned the company for years and that she bakes 'em in her oven!  Not sure if that's true or not?  ;D

Aardman said:
mad.ax said:
...the knobs are made by an old woman who's owned the company for years and that she bakes 'em in her oven!

Maybe it's "Miriam Stockli"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6q_MpLZg0A

;D

Seriously though... You'd NEVER call Miriam Stockley an "old woman". -She's a stunning singer, and her husband was a studio engineer for the WHO back in the day. (which was a Wednesday, if anyone's interested.)

Keef

Ah yes. -She's from your neighbourhood of course.

Her pitching and vocal tone are superb!; "stunning" is indeed an appropriate description. -Did you work with Stevie L. at all? -Another stunning singer, albeit with an entirely more 'aggressive' delivery.

Keith

mad.ax said:

I  have an old, 40 W solid state WEM guitar amp which uses Bas series with double pointer.

@ Rob Flinn'

If you want to tackle the task of casting I can advice you on the type of materials used and how to do it.

But a clever engineer should be a able to do it using a lathe and milling machine. I got my guy do a complete set of knobs for a Pultec EQ that a friend of mine had.

The same style was used on lots of old General Radio gear:

General Radio Co. Decade Resistance box Type 602-N

Occasionally their decade resistors will go for stupid cheap.  For the price, you might be able to score the originals, plus have yourself a nice decade resistor, albeit with different knobs.

I missed out on some piece of equipment called an "Impact Analyzer"...cool retro meter plus several old bakelite knobs.  I'm still kicking myself for not bidding...wound up going for $5.25.

Hi All,

I'm actually receiving a batch of Stockli pointer knobs next week.  They are surplus knobs from Ed Anderson.  He is also sending me some larger skirted knobs you may recognize.

eaknobs.jpg

There is a limited quantity.  About 90 Stockli's and 65 Skirted.

These will be sold at cost. I will let you know the day they will be available and exact price this week.

Please do not contact Ed about these knobs.

If you have any questions please contact me. 

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks for the offer Sahib, I'm not sure I want to go quite that far to get them at the moment !

sahib said:
mad.ax said:

I  have an old, 40 W solid state WEM guitar amp which uses Bas series with double pointer.

@ Rob Flinn'

If you want to tackle the task of casting I can advice you on the type of materials used and how to do it.

But a clever engineer should be a able to do it using a lathe and milling machine. I got my guy do a complete set of knobs for a Pultec EQ that a friend of mine had.

They look like General Radio knobs, Fairchild uses those..
What are the dimensions of those you about to receive Mike?

The pointer is: 1/4" shaft, 30mm long, 14mm from shaft center to tip, 19mm diameter skirt

The skirted knob should be: 1/4" shaft, 1.5" skirt diameter

I'll confirm the details when they arrive.

Thanks!

Mike

Back