Tube sockets?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrfred453

I bought a whole bunch of 9 pin PCB tube sockets only to find out when they arrived that they were plastic  :-[
If I had known better at the time I wouldn't have bought them. So now that they are here, what projects would it be okay to use them on? I saw the bit about plastic sockets in the PM660 and will have to get ceramic sockets for those. What about:
Dual LA2A
G9
PeQ
Orange 86
D-AOC
Any of those projects run cool enough that I won't get into too much trouble?

Any particular reason why ceramic is important to you?  FWIW I've never had any problems with plastic 9-pinners in any of my DIY projects.

Curtis said:
Any particular reason why ceramic is important to you?  FWIW I've never had any problems with plastic 9-pinners in any of my DIY projects.
we have seen them melting down in the poor man :eek:

Sanstitre.jpg

Do preamp tubes run that hot in the Pman's? 6BC8 ?

surprising

EL84's maybe

If you need very high insulation (such as high input impedance in a tube microphone for instance) then ceramic is not a good choice as it retains moisture. Some cheap plastics, such as polyethylene, are much better in this application, better than original bakelite, only glass or teflon would beat them.
In a tube mic, you don't overheat the socket, so this won't be a problem.

Axel

back to one of the original questions:

jrfred453 said:
Dual LA2A
D-AOC
Any of those projects run cool enough that I won't get into too much trouble?
I can only speak doe the D-LA2A and D-AOC:
the PCBs are designed for completely different tube sockets, which I like more ...
even with the moderate heat a D-AOC will produce, they just won't fit :(

http://www.cascadesurplus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=1154
9_Pin_PCB_Mount_Socket.jpg

These ones seem to fit everything I've tried to stuff them in, he also stocks the gold plated ones.

Latest posts

Back