New Drip Opto Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarcastic Sound

Drip Ver.2 Board, alps pots, vintage bakelite knobs, sowter iron... pure goodness ;D
IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

Nice build - how does she sound? As good as you hoped?  There is something magical about a LA2A on vocals when tracking. Its one of lifes true pleasures:)

thanks for all the kind words

how does she sound? As good as you hoped?

it sound great! I have access to an original 2A and a UA 2A that I'm going to have a "shoot out" with. I'll post my findings/opinions on the results. but even if it doesn't EXACTLY match up with an original, it's still got a character that I'll never part with  8)

How does it sound with the power transformer mounted inside? any humm coming from that?

this unit is silent!!! I was worried about mounting the transformer inside the case but figured if I had issues I'd just flip it to the outside of the case. but from the start this unit was silent as could be. I have to thank Drip for creating such GREAT documentation on this build and providing a brilliant board (and t4). it made this build way easier than I thought it would be.

Thank you for showing people that NOT making it look like the original is a good thing.

I'm a firm believer in the "sex appeal" of custom gear. when you walk into a studio that has gear that sorta looks like original units, it's not as inspiring as walking into a control room and seeing a rack full of units that no one has ever seen before. ;D

Back