Converting desk channel strip into standalone unit.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGuitarist

So i've found a great deal on ebay for some mixing desk channel strips (not vintage neves but hey, aussie vintage jands, not bad stuff)

And i was wondering, how would i go about working out what pins (its set out like a computer card that would slot into a main board by the looks of it) do what and how much power is required to run the unit (with phantom power too)

Obviously i'd need 3 for input, 3 for output, 3 for an insert (i'm assuming) then whatever for the power. I guess there would definately be redundant pins left over as i wont have any sub mixes or panning.

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

is that the same brand that made "jands hog"  Lighting Desks? I've used those:)
I think you should put more info from it.

Sorry should of mentioned that before. Its from an audio desk, but no model or anything,  only that its back from when they were pretty much making them to order, they mostly just hire out audio gear now, i've looked up the ic on it and can't find any details or pretty much anything.

Yes its the same jands, good desks those hogs.

Having the schematic on hand is a good start. From there you should be able to figure out what each pin is.

-Casey

Hey I bought four of these also. The guy on ebay said it was either Jands or Nova sound made gear. I have just started snooping around with my DMM and have the pin outs almost figured out but without a schematic it is tricky. Mic input trannies have "MSC 1892 PMT/7710" stamped on them and each strip has several ML748CS ic's on them.

Anyone who can help to identify these strips would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise i shall just start poking around with some low voltages and make a few uneducated guesses.

Thanks,
Cameron

Attachments

• !BRgkPBQ!2k~$(KGrHgoOKkUEjlLmVks,BJ-ZZW16Ow~~_3.jpg
    !BRgkPBQ!2k~$(KGrHgoOKkUEjlLmVks,BJ-ZZW16Ow~~_3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 181
Googling ML748CS yielded these links:

http://gb.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=ML748CS
http://www.chinaicmart.com/series-ML7/ML748CS.html
http://www.nteinc.com/specs/900to999/pdf/nte975.pdf

Looks like it is a single op-amp, standard pin-out.
The 748 was an improved version of the 741 dating from the mid-1970's onwards.
In comparison with modern op-amps, it's particularly un-exciting.

As for the transistor, Google is of no help. I will have to leave that until I get in to work to check the Towers book.
If no info is available, you can work out if its NPN or PNP and also the BCE pin-out by using a DMM.

Gareth.

Hey Gareth,
thanks for your info, very much appreciated.
I was hoping someone here in Australia may recognise these and set those of us who have bought these on the right track.

If I understood your post correctly, my reference to the "Mic input trannies "MSC 1892 PMT/7710" was in relation to transformers not transistors.

I am keen to know more about your experience with these op amps, and why you rate them as particularly unexciting. Sorry if this should be obvious, I have limited experience with these circuits. The strips have five of these IC's on them.

cheers and thanks for your info, ;)
Mac.

Latest posts

Back