Different Flavour Preamps To Add To JLM 99v?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikki

I have room to add a couple of preamps in my JLM99 box, was looking for something with a bit different flavour? I'm no expert on pre's but is the JLM 99 classed as having a Nevish sound....on JLM'S site it says the JLM is Neve on steroids, any suggestions? Just to say the JLM 99s are working very well.
Regards
Vikki(uk) ;)

I recommend one of the api-ish mic pre kits getting around here.

Simple, small and fabul-arific - like the one forthcoming at www.classicapi.com
Along with a JLM Go-Between for DI.

The JLM99V just may be my desert island pre.  The other, may be my MAP preamps which are Melcor descendants.  Call it a member of the 312 family even though it came first, I think. 

Having used API-style preamps with the 99V, I can say the sounds are different, yet very complimentary.  I won't launch into a series of cliche descriptors, but call the 99v robust yet detailed, and the 312 mild color with focus.  I don't know if that makes any sense. 

They're simple to build, and have an array of transformers and opamps that seems to broaden by the day.  It's a bandwagon that no one can blame you for jumping on.  So jump already.

Depending on how much room you have and the PSU etc how about 1 x API and 1 x SSL9k  ?
That would give you the 99v sound, API 70's goodness and a very neutral but wonderful SSL

Marty.

Maybe I am missing something obvious but aside from an API flavour with a different pre, wasn't one of the benefits of the JLM that you could use different input tranny's and op amp/hybrids to get a different flavour anyway? Perhaps the different permutations of these is not as drastic a change as your looking for with a totally difference focus. Maybe I am just missing the point and as you read this you are cursing "you idiot thats not what I am talking about" :)

I would say the JLM is my desert island as well. I have an old Neve 1277 original module and the JLM. I would say the JLM is somewhat steroidal:)

Not sure whether this post has offerend any help at all.....

I think the jlm 99v  pre  is fantastic , and Ive messed around with a bunch of OP transformers .
I prefer a Output transformer

Great info...thanks.
Originally i was going to put 4 JLM 99's in this case but ended up just putting 2 in there, these both have the Lundahl 1538 input tx and the JLM 99's. May be i could build another 1 or 2 as i originally planned and use a different combination of input tx. I'm not using an output transformer with these at the moment, but Audio Maintenance is only an hours drive away so i could perhaps put a Carnhill op tx in these or is it best to use the JLM tx's. Just wondering what other amp modules you can use in these?
I think the reason i asked the question is....i don't really own or have used many other preamps and i guess the grass is always greener on the other side ;D
Regards
Vikki(uk) ;)

Vicki. I originally made JLM's with OEP trannies and the 99v op amp. I thought the sound was a bit midrangey and a litte telephone like but still very clear and it was nice. Then I decided to build another and thought I would give the JLM 1:4 input tranny a go. In a curious way, I was slightly apprehensive about using the JLM 1:4 originally. Strangely, beucase it wasn't a "big name" tranny I assumed it wouldn't be as nice as the OEP, Lundahl,Carnhill etc etc.

Well I remember testing the unit out to check it was working and holy hell!!!!! I heard another preamp of its own that to me blew the previous OEP made one out of the water. So much more extended bass and treble.  Now some people may argue that that extra bass and treble may be actually a nusiance in certain scenarios - eg if you have a crowded mix and you need to actually eq cut those freuqencies out. But as far as listening to a vocal track in isolation with this JLM 1:4 and 99V combo during my test, it totally blew me away. It still does. I wish I had used this configuration before and now my OEP configued one seems kind of redundant.

On another note, and not sure if/how this will fit in your case, but - something about buidling a r.e.d - 47 is intirging me. The JLM was the pre I thought I would never need to replace and for that matter I wont- however -  in keeping with your grass is always greener analogy, guess my 47 intrigue is akin to this. It may be that I build a 47 and then decide that I am still devoted to the JLM.

Back