Gssl EAO push button SSL Switch?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the datasheet, http://www.newark.com/pdfs/datasheets/EAO/BR01.pdf
it appears to be momentary action switch. Bit like how a talk back works. You'd have to keep your finger on it all the time and mix with one hand?

Also it's 1 pole, so are you going to be using it to switch a relay? As you need one pole for illumination, one for compression in, and one for makeup gain in.

Can someone tell me is this -  eao switch  product code : 01 151.025  the correct push button?
No it's not that one. That is a momentary switch. You need a latching switch.

You want 01.281.025. That is the one that SSL use.
But be aware it is a one pole changeover switch. If you are using it with the Super Sidechain board then fine, but if not then you would need a 2 pole changeover switch and maybe even another pole for the LED (or lamp).
EAO also do another version of this switch that will work fine:
It's a bit cheaper. I think because it has silver contacts rather than gold.
Martyn

Anyone has used NKK switches for instead of those EAO?
I found a couple for cheap at Ebay.
Thanks.

barclaycon said:
Can someone tell me is this -  eao switch  product code : 01 151.025   the correct push button?
No it's not that one. That is a momentary switch. You need a latching switch.

You want 01.281.025. That is the one that SSL use.
But be aware it is a one pole changeover switch. If you are using it with the Super Sidechain board then fine, but if not then you would need a 2 pole changeover switch and maybe even another pole for the LED (or lamp).
EAO also do another version of this switch that will work fine:
It's a bit cheaper. I think because it has silver contacts rather than gold.
Martyn

Hello,
I'm planning on using 2 EAO switches for my GSSL (with supersidechain board), one for on/off and one for bypass and there is something I don't understand: do I need single or dual pole?
For the ref  01.281.025, the doc says the swith is 1NC + 1NO (single pole) but will it work for the 2 functions I need? How is wired the light then?
Many thanks

If you have the supersidechain board then the standard single pole type is fine.
The majority of the switching is done on the PCB.
Here are the details:
http://picasaweb.google.com/barclaycon/GSSLSuperSidechainPCB

That takes care of compression ON/OFF.

For Bypass, I have no idea what bypass scheme you are using.
Assuming it's relays, then again the standard switch will be fine.

I used some from Schweitzer, they are available at Farnell Here.
They have square ones too, I used this SPDT and etch a board with a DPDT relay to do the job I want... ;)
You need to buy the colored caps and opt for LED or Lamp... lamps are cheaper, but has a high curent's consumption (150mA), and inserts for the legends...
It may cost around €13 each one complete... much cheaper that EAO... it's crazy their price!
Cheers,

Eddie :)

barclaycon said:
If you have the supersidechain board then the standard single pole type is fine.
The majority of the switching is done on the PCB.
Here are the details:
http://picasaweb.google.com/barclaycon/GSSLSuperSidechainPCB

That takes care of compression ON/OFF.

For Bypass, I have no idea what bypass scheme you are using.
Assuming it's relays, then again the standard switch will be fine.
OK, I'm using this supersidechain board.
There is still something which confuses me though. How many pins does the single pole EAO switch have (at the back)? Is it 6 (2 for NC, 2 for NO and 2 for lamp)? If I take the example of the ON/OFF compression (SSch board) there are 2 connections to do: one for the switch action and one for the led. Where should I wire them if I use this EAO switch type?
Thanks for your help

If I remember rightly, the EAO switch has 4 pins marked 1,2,3,4 for switching
and 2 pins a) and b) for the lamp.
Pins 1 & 2 are NC and pins 3 & 4 are NO.
So, from the supersidechain PCB, wire the switch action pins to 3 & 4 on the EAO.
The LED connections from the PCB go to a) and b).
If you are using a LED lamp in the EAO, make sure you know which is + and which is -.

And yes, you are right Eddie - EAO switches are a ridiculous price.

SaMpLeGoD said:
I used some from Schweitzer, they are available at Farnell Here.
They have square ones too, I used this SPDT and etch a board with a DPDT relay to do the job I want... ;)
You need to buy the colored caps and opt for LED or Lamp... lamps are cheaper, but has a high curent's consumption (150mA), and inserts for the legends...
It may cost around €13 each one complete... much cheaper that EAO... it's crazy their price!
Cheers,

Eddie :)
Thanks Eddie, I've had a look at the schweitzer ones but they don't come with white lens, only clear colors.

barclaycon said:
If I remember rightly, the EAO switch has 4 pins marked 1,2,3,4 for switching
and 2 pins a) and b) for the lamp.
Pins 1 & 2 are NC and pins 3 & 4 are NO.
So, from the supersidechain PCB, wire the switch action pins to 3 & 4 on the EAO.
The LED connections from the PCB go to a) and b).
If you are using a LED lamp in the EAO, make sure you know which is + and which is -.

And yes, you are right Eddie - EAO switches are a ridiculous price.
Ahh, I'm finally getting the answer I was looking for, thanks a lot.
I have the opportunity to buy some EAO single poles for 17pounds, I think it's quite reasonable.
I've been told that leds are much better than lamp but I didn't find any 12V ones yet. The type is T5, I'll keep searching
Cheers,

The component values on the SSC PCB are for an LED (to show IN and OUT).
If you are going to use a T5 wedge lamp (like in the EAO switch) or a LED lamp, then choose a 24volt type and change the value of the resistor on the PCB from 2k2 to 330 ohms.

hi, newb here
i have checked above switches, they are rated 120/150V etc....
push switches are all like this even in Farnell Europe... am i missing something big time...

we have 220V mains... and i dont seem to find any 220-240V rated mains switch....
any idea ?

barclaycon said:
The component values on the SSC PCB are for an LED (to show IN and OUT).
If you are going to use a T5 wedge lamp (like in the EAO switch) or a LED lamp, then choose a 24volt type and change the value of the resistor on the PCB from 2k2 to 330 ohms.
Ok...could you explain me the difference with a normal led ?
If I go for 24V leds/lamps, I assume I also have to modify the resistor on the controler board for the "POWER ON" led, right?
One more thing, I was planning on using another EAO for sidechain ON/OFF (only for this purpose since I will use a rotary switch for the others mode: TM,TL , Freq, etc...), is it doable with the SSC Pcb? Where can I tap the power (24V now) for the lamp from?

LED's have a forward voltage of about 2.2v and take about 10mA in current so they normally require a resistor in series if they are powered from something like the audio rail.
LED lamps that are rated at 24v (such as the T5 wedge type) have the resistor already built in.

This is the last post I will be making in this thread.
I designed the SSC PCB so I don't mind explaining some of the connections, but I'm not here to give lengthy details about how to customize your project.
I'm afraid you will have to work that out for yourself.

Latest posts

Back