George Harrison

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston OBoogie

So good ol' George gets his own star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame today.  Olivia and Dhani (his widow and son) will be there there for the ceremony and I'm gonna go down with a friend who knows them fairly well.  All I can say is "It's about bloody time they gave one o' them things to the Dark Horse".
Although, it's probably down to the upcoming documentary by Scorsese that it actually happened at all.

"There went the Sun..."

Glad I went.  Both emotional and humorous.  Sir Paul was there as were Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty.  Speeches by Eric Idle (a close friend of George's) and Tom Hanks as well as Olivia and Dhani.   
Idle had wondered beforehand what he should say in his speech about George getting his star and had asked Ringo for advice.  Ringo replied "Where's mine?" to which Eric said "They don't give stars to drummers!". 
Eric also wondered what George would have thought himself about the the event and about having a star on the Walk Of Fame and then he imagined he heard George say to him "A load of old bollocks!"

Eric Idle also thanked Paul for being such a good friend to George towards the end and then explained that George had actually died at Paul's house...
After a pause he then admitted that this is the reason why he (Eric) will never stay at John Cleese's house.

Just before the ceremony it was a bit cloudy but, as everyone came out of Capitol for the speeches to start, the clouds parted somewhat and a friend standing next to me said "Here comes The Sun..."

Without sounding stupidly sentimental - the beauty of a board like this is those us on the other side of the earth don't feel so isolated. Its nice to be able to converse and connect with people who can actually have first hand experience of a nice event such as this and then relay that.

I am somewhat jealous I couldn't attend.

Thanks Winston. 

deuce42 said:
I am somewhat jealous I couldn't attend.

Thanks Winston. 
As is goes sometimes when these things happen, yesterday was "George Harrison Day" in Los Angeles.  By my reckoning, if my little story made you think of George at all yesterday, then it was also "George Harrison Day" on your side of the world... on all sides of the world.  So you were there.

Hare Krishna

By my reckoning, if my little story made you think of George at all yesterday, then it was also "George Harrison Day" on your side of the world... on all sides of the world.  So you were there.

Hare Krishna

Nice one - thanks:)

grew up with the beatles. rediscovered them later as a guitar player. while i always "knew"(heard) that george had created"great chord progressions. i've recently experienced them for myself. by learning a bunch od harrison stuff.while his chord progressions were complex (compared to most pop and rock n roll. they never seem or sound forced.(like when i try something unorthodox) check out chords to
give me love
something
while my guitar
and you'll see what i mean if you dont already .
brilliant

Thanks Pucho, great to see that again  :)

From Wikipedia about the video:

The music video that accompanied the song (directed by Godley and Creme) also referenced the other three former Beatles. Ringo Starr appears prominently first as Harrison's "assistant" and then as the drummer. A man dressed up in a Walrus costume playing a left-handed bass guitar refers to Paul McCartney (who the latter was asked to appear as well but was not available). John Lennon, who died in 1980, is represented by a passer-by carrying his Imagine album.

Also making guest appearances in the video are Gary Wright, Elton John, Derek Taylor, Jeff Lynne, Ray Cooper and Neil Aspinall.

The video received six nominations at the 1988 MTV Video Music Awards.

Thought you guys would enjoy these.

thatsreallyweek-558441808-1240041464.jpg

thatsreallyweek-31586999-1240041464.jpg

thatsreallyweek-654509179-1240041465.jpg

Thanks for posting those Bias  :)

I only had my cell with me but got some low res shots on that.  I did video the best bits on the cell too so I could show my son.  He's 8 and likes the Beatles and Monty Python so having a "Fab" and a "Python" together is a pretty cool thing!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back