Variable polarity/phase box?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishsixstringer

I did a search, and I'm sure someone's talked about it, but I failed to find anything.  Has anyone done a DIY variable phase box similar to the little labs boxes?  How exactly does a box like the 'work'?  I think it would be a fun project, and could be a very useful tool.  I'm just looking for something passive.  I don't need to double as a DI and reamp.  Just a box with 2 inputs and one knob that goes from 0 - 180 degrees.  Could be stepped in 5 or 10 degree increments, or infinite.  My question about these boxes is, where does the box go in the chain?  Before the mic pre? After?  And does the bux sum the 2 signals to one, or does it come out as 2 signals again?  Any info would be great. 

Neil

+1!!! I was just going to post the same thing!

Ideally the box I want would handle either mic or line level. As I think it's a passive box, it doesn't seem that would be a problem. I don't need the DI either and I would prefer if the signals were not summed within the box.

Let's get some more people involved in this and maybe put something together with a group?  I'm not too good with the designing, but I'd be helpful in sourcing and organization.  Anyone else in?

Neil

those thing are not passive !
I think they work with a series of allpass filters ?

and they're usually plugged to an insert

Hi,all

Well this afternoon, i was thinking about how the I...from Little Labs work.A friend of mine used it in session and said me that it was very interesting,with different sourcing mics.

My first ask is this Box may be very transparent?

Sure it active inside for pass filter (AOP),I've seen paper about Phase shifter,that used AOP+Jfet(for rotated Phase),it's seem that this kind circuit is used in Guitar stombox.The circuit I've seen was making  45° rotation....but it could be possible to go up, ;D

May be we can search in this direction...

Best regards,Bruno ;)

I know radial has something similar

Although I was a bit skeptical at first, it seems to work really very fine. I wouldn't trust it on vocal track but it was great to line-up two kick mics.

arno

Back