Newb Question: DIY Mic or AT4050/ Beezneez etc...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickey Free

Hello to everyone. Been lurking awhile, but this is my first post. My brother and i are getting our project studio off to a great start, but I think it's time to get a really nice LDC to round out our collection. Currently we have:

2x Oktava Mod 319
2x Oktava Modded MK-012 (which i did)
SM7, MD 421, KSM 27, Beyer m160, cascade fat head and other bits and pieces.

Heres the thing: I want a clean, detailed LDC for vox, guitar, Kick and room/OH. Perhaps a pair, but probably out of the price range right now. I've thought about an AT4050 (heard they are great work horse mics), but I've also considered doing a mod a' la Apex 460. I record a lot of rap vox and would like something crisp and well articulated. People use mostly u87's for that, but at this point we need a bit of an all arounder. Should tube/ solid-state be a consideration? I've done searches and have gleened some info, but i'm still kinda confused about which direction i should go if i decide to DIY this thing. PS- I'm trying to stay under $1000, and multi-pattern is a big plus.

Thanks in advance,
Mickey

The 4050 is multipattern, Do you need that? You could always go fot the 4040 cardiode which sounds about the same. I have several of each and they are great sounding mics for the money. I don't do rap groups, so I can't comment on that, but they are both good for vocals, and most everything else.

Jim

Thanks Jim. Multi pattern is a definite plus, for room miking and what not. Right now I want something w/ more versatility and detail than something w/ a huge amount of "character".

I think the 4050 will serve you very well (for rap, too). The 4040 doesn't really sound the same, it is more sibilant, a bit brighter and maybe even a little metallic. The 4050 is much more versatile, not only because of the extra patterns but also because it suits more sources.

This thread should actually go to the Brewery. The Drawing Board is for discussing circuit ideas.

Thanks Rossi, sorry for posting in the wrong place. Not sure how to move this thread yet, so maybe I'll just delete it for now to reduce the clutter. Thanks for every one's input!

Mickey

Latest posts

Back