New head basket for my g7

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tskguy

So I was inspired by skylar's u47 build thread and decided on building a u47ish headbasket for my g7.

I still plan on having it nickel plated...

What do you all think.

basket.jpg

basket003.jpg

wow... that's nice... The top dome part looks a bit high to me, but it's been a while since I've seen a real u47, so.. maybe not. How did you have the solid parts machined?

mitsos said:
wow... that's nice... The top dome part looks a bit high to me, but it's been a while since I've seen a real u47, so.. maybe not. How did you have the solid parts machined?

It looks indeed a bit high, but just a little bit. Looks amazing !

We actually just had our first chicago DIY meeting. Thats how CroationSensation saw it. It went very well.
We just started planning the second meeting. I will make sure that BigUgly is included.

As for the maching I recently bought a Harbor Frieght Mini lathe off of Craigs list for a couple hundred bones.
The hardest part was getting the finish correct. Its still not perfect. As for the dome I based it off the following pic. Its pretty close.

NEUMANN%20U47.JPG

Thanks for the comments!!

I hate you with a passion which you can only DREAM of!!!

Seriously, that's mighty impressive!!!

...I have not yet decided the manner of your death, but it will almost certainly be slow and painful... -unless you make two for me, as well!  ;)

Keith

Really Cool! Well made.

Well, there's one way to know for sure how close you got on the measurements.

The distance from the bottom ring to the top ring (grille-mesh area) is 45mm.
The top mesh should protrude 15mm.

The U47 body thread has all of the measurements...you just have to wade through 38 pages!

Of course, that's only IF you want to match the U47 dimensions.
Afterall, your intention was "U47-ish", right.
So, it looks like you've accomplished that!

Good Job!

Thanks for the kind words!

Yes the ish part was because I have smaller diameter tube. My mic body is made from a 2 inch copper pipe that has a outside diameter of around 2.15 inches. So I went from there. I also felt that the top ring was a little thin for machining skills! So both the top and bottom ring are both the same thickness. (I think 3mil) Also the grill area is like 47 mil instead of the 45 on the u47. Most other dimensions are very close. The mesh is only two layers as well. I plan on building one more and hope to even come closer. This one started as a first lathe project that turned out better than expected. I don’t have access to a sand blaster so my finish was mostly old school elbow grease. Most of the soldering was done with solder paste and hard jewelers silver solder. The paste worked very well and seems to hold the mesh well. Cutting and fitting the mesh was a real bitch. Skylar your thread was a tone of inspiration. Thanks for all the work you have done for this community!

Latest posts

Back