Barry Porter "Net EQ"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarmaker

I'm wondering if anyone has any Gerber files for the Barry Porter "Net EQ" they wouldn't mind sharing/selling/trading for?  Thanks in advance.

Steve

"It" came for the late Barry Porter and is supposed to be a very nice, elegant EQ.  There is a schem here:
http://www.collinsaudio.com/NetEQ.pdf
and some PCB stuff here:
http://www.collinsaudio.com/PCB_Tracking.pdf
Which leads me to believe there are some more complete files for the DIY minded.

Steve

I don't believe there's any secrecy or problem posting resources for this one as the schematic itself was posted on his now defunct web site.  It seemed like at the time some folks took to making some Gerber files for it but I haven't had any luck finding them.

Steve

Looks like the paralell filter style which
massenburg prefers [ i believe ]

Someone smarter than me will likely speak up soon ,
always fun to see different schematics

I bought PCB's from someone who is making them as finished units. He is willing to sell boards but I highly doubt he would give out gerbers. The boards weren't priced "non commercial" either.

Hi All,

I have gerbers for Barry's own PCB design as well as a PDF outlining the circuit.  I don't have the means to host the Gerbers so I put them up on yousendit - perhaps someone can download and host.  I don't know if they are good or not as I have neither the skills nor the Gerber reader to tell.

https://download.yousendit.com/WnBReFlZYXkzMWwzZUE9PQ

Can whoever ends up hosting this let me know and I'll email them the PDF of the circuit description.

Cheers,
Ruairi

edited for many typos - too tired. Will email to the GroupDIY account later

None of my bussiness, but - how about uploading it to the groupdiy gmail account? Should be "it" ....

Gold said:
I bought PCB's from someone who is making them as finished units. He is willing to sell boards but I highly doubt he would give out gerbers. The boards weren't priced "non commercial" either.

Interesting, I was around when the original project came together, IIRC it was back in the rec.audio.pro days.

It's a shame someone is profiting from Barry's more than generous offering.

Care to share the contact info?

Mark

Biasrocks said:

It's a new board layout that includes provision for DOA's. I had to convince him to sell me boards. On the original website there were Gerbers for BP's layout. He's not selling those. I see nothing wrong with taking a public domain circuit, doing a layout and selling customized boxes that say BP Net EQ on them. If you want to give the guy a hard time spend some time with google.

If Barry has passed on  , it's no use to him

although open to competition from anyone else who
wants to take the time to create & market a pcb  ,
it is a nice head start from someone else's work .

like most projects , i 'd buy a pcb to save the effort
[ i wouldn't have made half the things i have without
a ready to go pcb ]

Barry got a widow ?

Gold said:
Biasrocks said:

It's a new board layout that includes provision for DOA's. I had to convince him to sell me boards. On the original website there were Gerbers for BP's layout. He's not selling those. I see nothing wrong with taking a public domain circuit, doing a layout and selling customized boxes that say BP Net EQ on them. If you want to give the guy a hard time spend some time with google.

Not looking to give anyone a hard time, perhaps you should take a look at some of the original threads in rec.audio.pro

Barry himself explained that he released this design because a number of manufactures copied his design and used it in commercial products.

Barry released the Gerber files himself on April 27th, 2001.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.audio.pro/browse_thread/thread/96d8d956b2e19b56/c04b176c4c507fb5?lnk=gst&q=barry+porter+neteq#c04b176c4c507fb5

I'm uploading the entire project to the GroupDIY email account, along with the Gerber files.

From Barry Porter's website -
"This particular configuration was developed by myself, and was originally used in a Cadac console. With very few modifications, it has been used by several other console manufacturers - some with my approval, but many without!"

Enjoy!
Mark

FWIW they are built to order and are all a little different. You won't see an ad for them. He's not pretending like he has an exclusive license or it's anything other than what it is.

anyone say who the manufactures who copied it are ?
[ what it's comparable to ]

that's gotta suck getting ripped off by the big boys [ bullys ]

Paul, I'm assuming this the product you're talking about?

http://www.tfpro.com/index.php/page/P9

okgb said:
anyone say who the manufactures who copied it are ?
[ what it's comparable to ]

I believe Soundcraft was one of the notable ones, it's all there in the thread on rec.audio.pro if you care to look.

Mark

Back