Barry Porter "Net EQ"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AD797 said:
Thank you Gustav, found it. But why do you use a 6u8 at the input of the 1646?  ???

Its a standard DC blocking cap copy/pasted from the design notes of the chip.

For C63, you have C61 or C33, depending on the switched in path, so just leave it out.

Gustav

A real Sontec?  Not side by side but I have used 3 or 4 different Sontecs and I use a Porter every day for my mastering work (tweaked).  Despite the hoopla I have no love for Sontecs, they are fine but are too much of a service liability in my mind.  Sonically I absolutely prefer the Porter.

ruairioflaherty said:
A real Sontec?  Not side by side but I have used 3 or 4 different Sontecs and I use a Porter every day for my mastering work (tweaked).  Despite the hoopla I have no love for Sontecs, they are fine but are too much of a service liability in my mind.  Sonically I absolutely prefer the Porter.

Thank you!  I really liked the Massenburg (sp?) long ago (same idea as Sontec?) and have the 51X version (not built yet) but thought I might try something  different (NetEQ)
What did you tweak on the NetEQ?
Best,
Bruno2000

One more question for the group, for those who used switches instead of pots.  How many "Q" positions did you incorporate?
Thanks!
Best,
Bruno2000

bruno2000 said:
Thank you!  I really liked the Massenburg (sp?) long ago (same idea as Sontec?) and have the 51X version (not built yet) but thought I might try something  different (NetEQ)
What did you tweak on the NetEQ?
Best,
Bruno2000

The Massenburg topology is very close to the Sontec and the build quality is much better.  The opamps used impart a different coloration but it's a good EQ.  That said I had one available to me for 3 years at my last space and I used it twice ever.

The Porter I use is not my build, the PCB was a Frank Lacy and the opamps are all tweaked.  Input and output sections are much simpler unbalanced affairs.  It sounds fantastic.

Sinkia said:
May I ask where have you bought those wonderfull pcbs? :)

Thank you!  I designed them myself, and I have a few extras.  I'm going to build up 2 stereo units, and will post as I go.
Best,
Bruno2000

Awesome Joe!

What have you added or taken away from the original design and layout?  Or put another way, why did you feel the need to design your own board?

Cheers,
Ruairi

ruairioflaherty said:
Awesome Joe!

What have you added or taken away from the original design and layout?  Or put another way, why did you feel the need to design your own board?

Cheers,
Ruairi

Thanks Ruairi,
A several reasons.  1. Mental therapy.  2. to see how much I could cram in a small package.  Front panel will be 4"x7". 3. Added features (5 bands added HPF, added gain control, M/S encode/decode individually selected, optional XF output) 4. Mental therapy.
Best,
Bruno2000

I download a file and I can  not open brd file with eagle 5.8.0. What version open it ? Do you have gerber file for this eq?
Best regads.

Majestic12 said:
Another one done...

2m5kkrt.jpg

9ssa3q.jpg

Amazing!  :eek: ;D

febo2609 said:
I download a file and I can  not open brd file with eagle 5.8.0. What version open it ? Do you have gerber file for this eq?
Best regads.

Newest version of Eagle works for me.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I need your help, please!

I just finished my NetEQ and it sounds good, but I have a problem
When the equalizer is activated but al bands are baypaseed, everything is well, but when activating a band there is a very evident noise, mainly in the hi frequency band.
I use potentiometers for al controls, for gain I use a swithc on / off / on.
I check the connections, the elements, and there are no cold soldering, everything seems to be correct, but the noise persist.
Seems to be an electric noise coming from the psu, I thought to get it out of the box, but I have seen that in most of the eq that have built here have the psu inside, I would like to know if they have the same problem
Please if anyone can give me some idea of what may be happening

Thanks and regards to all

Attachments

• Noise.png
    Noise.png
    414.7 KB · Views: 59
wasnt there something about the span of freq must be within 4 octaves per band otherwise instability/noise would accour..?

local bypassing of opamps is another one i can think of...

Latest posts

Back