New 500 Series Mixing Console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benlindell

Hey guys.

So I've been very intrigued by all the 500 series stuff happening these days and have been thinking about a console idea of my own. I did a fair amount of research, looked deeply at the Tree Audio Console and Pete's Place Mark VIII. Neither one was perfect for how I like to work so I based my design off of the best parts of both of these two and also some features from the Dangerous Summing and Mastering gear as well.

I think it'll work very well in a hybrid workflow (which I'm into, having used the Dangerous gear for quite a while) but also has the possibility to run an all analog system.

This is a 24ch, 5 aux, 8 groups console. The great thing about using 500 modules is that they are balanced in and out so inserting before and after each module is simple, as is bypassing.

The inserts also allows for flexibility on where the signal goes to tape/AD, and it's possible to monitor either pre/post tape/AD. Bypassing allows this mixer to work without all of the modules filled.

I intend on making this slowly and carefully. I want to make it almost all discrete, the only things I feel I could use chips on are things like the TB, Headphone, and maybe the studio speaker sections. I'm looking to use very high-end components, P&G faders, 990 opamps, etc. Hopefully this console will last a lifetime or more.

Obviously I'm going to need plenty of help on this project as I am more a musician than an electronics engineer, but I've been building kits for quite a while and am ready to plunge head first into a HUGE design project.

Are there any people out there that would be interested in working with me on this project, perhaps with more experience in design? I feel like a mentor/design partner would be great. Also anyone that would be interested in making one of these along with me, so that we can buy parts in larger quantities?

Here are my first versions of some layout and block diagrams:
Big_Layout.jpg

Channel_Layout.jpg

Master_Section.jpg

Channel.jpg

Group_Stereo_Channels.jpg

Master.jpg

So there are things that I'd really like to have that I'm thinking are going to wicked difficult. Variable HPF, Width Circuit are definitely the hardest I imagine. Will they be possible without using chips?

Look forward to working on this and developing an awesome console. All comments and questions are welcome.

Thanks,

Ben
http://www.benlindell.com

Interesting project  :)
I am not expert, but I think you need some buffer after pan pot if the channel is assigned to multiple busses at the same time

Thanks, I know about the tree audio console, in fact that is what part of my design is based on.

o.k.

you know there are enough companies that make componants like center sections(purple audio) and aux modules like tone lux. maybe could piece a whole console together?

Variable HPF without a chip? I would think a 25-50-100 switch would be better if you didn't want to use a bucket.

Very ambitious. Crazy metal work...

BH

Solo ?
PFL, AFL, SIP, ... any thoughts  ;D ???

and how about summing ?
passive or active ??
there's some great articles and schematics at fred forssell's website

and don't forget: there's an awful lot of soldering work involved :)

anyway good luck!

Slowly thinking about this project.

Figured I basically have to start by figuring out the power situation. If you figure 130mA max current per slot, we're looking at 9.36A just for the modules. I'm thinking of making the buckets GroupDIY 51X compatible and also making the summing section +/-24V as well for extra headroom at the last stage. In addition to +/-16V and +/-24V, I'll need power for the relays and phantom, so we're looking at 6 total power rails.

So I'm trying to figure out how to design and implement this PSU, possibly making a load sharing pair of PSUs. I have a PDF from the NCS Audio Handbook about PSU design so I'm going through that but if anyone else has some info and/or guidance that'd be great.

Also after considering cost and time, I'm thinking it'd be cool to make all the DOA sockets with IC sockets as well, ala JLM, so that the channels can be used without all the time and money investment of making dozens of DOAs

Regarding the PSUs, I could design a PSU for these currents or more. I'm an EE with several years of analog design. I've designed the APP2050 that's a new discrete op amp that I sell in this forum (white market) .
I council you to make two indipendent PSUs for 500 modules and one PSU for the internal parts.

Regarding other parts, I could design them...........
Several parts could be done with DOAs.

Pier Paolo.  

Peter,

I wasn't referring at your EQ but at as designing a filter for this new 500 mix console , since the topic is for it. No offence for you, :)

I think we're all talking about the same thing, peter shared his variable filter design that is discrete but uses a DSF instead of a regular opamp which is great cause I'm looking to integrate one of these on every channel.

using an op amp gives the possibility to have a butterworth filter to maximize the bandwith linearity and more low THD distortion, but however the double source follower is quite good. Infact, if its load isn't too low its THD distortion is low. Peter has made a very fine compressor that I love (the compressor), I think that we should try these two solutions discrete op amp and double source follower.   

Latest posts

Back