8-bit sampler DIY kit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek:

Ooh ooh ooh I need one of those!  The feature set looks pretty incredible for something costing $75!

*  8-bit max sample depth, 1-bit minimum.
    * 20kHz (or so, user adjustable) max sample rate, no minimum.
    * 512k SRAM, about 26 seconds (minimum) or sample time.
    * Big, versatile 6 button, 7 knob, 8 LED user interface. For Cavemen.
    * Even more big and versatile full MIDI control in and out capability. Fully sequenceable. For people who use Live and general bespectacled electronic music nerds.
    * Sample banking -- multi-timbral recording, playback and audio processing across all banks.
    * Sample multiplication, XOR, ABS, and all sorts of other weird sample processing and cross-modulation.
    * Real time overdubbing.
    * Preferences saved in permanent memory.
    * Hackable analog clock source which can be syncronized to other synths.
    * Non-Hackable crystal clock source which will always do Exactly What You Tell it.
    * Programmable clock jitter, bit rate reduction, aliasing, and sample clock errors all adjustable in real time.
    * All the normal backwards masking and half time and typical sampling features common to many commercial samplers.
    * On-The-Fly Granular reconstruction of samples.
    * Full pitch control of samples.
    * Self test mode for debugging.
    * 2.8Hz-357kHz frequency response (measured).
    * Sub-audible noise floor.
    * Looks nerdy and attracts people with stringy hair. Possibly bad skin.

Yeah, that noise floor v. dynamic range based on bit depth doesn't add up. I think he refers to the analog i/o buffer stages, which seems inept in light of the obviously huge amount of development that went into this thing.

Either way, I want one.

Have you emailed the guy skipwave?  He says on his site 'my first name @ his domain.com' but I can't find his first name anywhere on the site!

I have obviously failed the first test :(

* 2.8Hz-357kHz frequency response (measured).

such alias tends to extend infinitely if theres no low pass filter or s&h circuit, giving devices downstream a hard time.

rob_gould said:
Have you emailed the guy skipwave?  He says on his site 'my first name @ his domain.com' but I can't find his first name anywhere on the site!

I have obviously failed the first test :(

"Todd Bailey presenting "Where's the Party At v1.0", an 8-bit audio sampler in kit form, for dorkbot Chicago at Enemy Sound last nite. video documentation coming soon. thnx to all who came out and helped us restart dorkbot Chicago!" "

From http://dorkbotchicago.blogspot.com/

I've taken the plunge!

Reckon it'll fit into the weird modular I'm building quite nicely  8)

Finally got around to stuffing this over the weekend and hooking it up to my studio.

Absolutely brilliant little module for the money - perfect for making terrifying electro and techno noises. Pretty versatile in its own quirky way.

I've got it hooked up to my octopus sequencer triggering both record and playback of channel one (record in is an aux submix off my desk) and just playback of a vocal sample on channel 2; both channels then XOR'd together. Sounds truly monsterous!

Was a fairly easy build although I was glad i had a pointy iron as most of the solder pads were very small.

3651581234_fc684ef218_o.jpg

gonna attempt to bend it a bit before designing a case. did anyone else get one??

matt

kazper said:
I'm going too as long as the offer still stands.

Short on money at the moment...

2 voices right?

yep two intermanglable voices. it's grotty stuff, well pleased with it. i was gonna build this into my modular but I've decided it warrants its own case and built-in filter, so gonna knock one of those up next. it sounded outrageous through my teebee filter input but i need that synth as a synth.

I watched some more demo's and pulled the trigger. (bought a extra pcb and Rom as well as a kit+goodies)

Your not alone now... (moneys tight but don't want to miss out on this one)

I don't think I want to use the PCB mounted pots and switches.

I was thinking the same thing on the filter, and adding a phono input option also while I was at it. I have some CEM's from an old Dead mirage, I was thinking this would be perfect for them.

Kaz

I was reading the forums and he was talking about using some pins for an SD connection for storage.

nice one :p

yeah would be nice to store samples indefinitely. i'm gonna buy another one when i get paid next week i think.

i'm gonna pull the pcb switches when i figure out my case. if i can get the knobs i have in my head i think these pots will be ok although it's gonna lead to a fairly weird front panel layout. they're quite close together too, so i may end up having to change them. i read there might be noise issues mounting them away from the board?

will use any spare front panel for bending points if i can find some reliable ones. mostly i've just managed to reset thething so far (!) but i did get some very cool ram corruption going yesterday at one point. those ram pins are so small though.. :/

will let you know if i find any good bends

Back