API 312 transformers - again, sorry

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomasdj

Hi,

I'm about to preapare a new(old) diy project, 8ch API preamp primary to record drums and guitars. I've read alot of the threads here but when it comes to the output transformer it's always cinemag, jensen and sowter. What about Lundahl? I live in Europe and cinemag, jensen is not available and sowter is too expensive, compared with a UK Lundahl distributer. Bu which Lundahl will suit the API 312 (as input and output)? I plan to us the API2520 as op-amp, - using the schem floating around the net.

Best regards

Thomas

Hey Thomas,

This really should be posted in the API 312 thread but anyhow while I'm here you should check out Jeff Steiger's webstore and his offering of Ed Anderson's 2503 remake.

http://classicapi.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_37&products_id=79

You'd be paying $33.75 each if you buy 8. The trandformers in a 312 are a part of the sound and generally have a colour.  Lundahls in general are made to be as neutral as possible.  They are also very pricey even in Europe. 

Cheers,
Ruairi

Hi Ruairi, Ahh sorry for that one..I'll check your link and move my question to the API-thread..thanks

Ruairi! ..guess what! ..I accidently bumped into a reply in the API-thread that says LL1517 as Output and LL1587 as input transformers!

That's great Thomas, I guess that's proof of why we refer new posters to search existing threads!

Just be warned that :
a) An 312 style circuit will probably not sound very close to the original if you use Lundahl transformers (it may sound better - who knows?)
b) A very quick search on a Lundahl distributor's site (Canford) shows that you will save little or nothing by going with Lundahls over ClassicAPI stock (even taking account of shipping, VAT and duty).

I have not heard the Lundahls in a 312 circuit so my guesses are just that - guesses, but the iron in the original 312 which I ave heard and used is a key part of the sound.  As I said though the Lundahls will just be different - whether better or worse depends on your taste.  FWIW I have 4 Lundahls in a Great River MP2 that I am just finishing.

Best of luck with the project!

Cheers,
Ruairi

Back