Vintech 1272 inside pictures needed - possible parts theft...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tungstengruvsten

Hey guys;

A friend of mine has an old original Vintech 1272 - he is pretty sure his had original St. Ives trannies in it, and after lending/renting it out to a few studios over the years he is convinced someone has swapped out his transformers....I'm just looking to help him out - anyone have photos of the insides of one of these?  Preferably a new one and an old one as at some point they moved over to Carnhills....

you can PM me or email me at my username at hotmail.com

Might want to give vintech a call. Maybe they can tell by serial number.

Yep the guy who owns it was very proud of his 1272 untill he heard my 1290 with Cinemags...he was completely blown away.. ;D

I've seen a 1st gen with original Neve iron in it; what that iron was, I can't say.  Definitely not new iron, though. 

If its the one with external power supply its possibly using Carnhill.
If the unit uses internal psu its using china trannies for sure.

These are TERRIBLE pictures.
I'm almost ashamed to post them.

The camera on my phone was all I had!

This is my buddy's 1272.

Carnhill VTB9049 outputs

Carnhill inputs?
Never seen Carnhills in green...just the blue.
They're a smoooooth green instead of the "hammerite" green.
No markings. It looks like there used to be white paper labels on the input XFs, but they've been peeled off.

So, how can they say "MADE FROM NEVE™ 1272 COMPONENTS"?
I don't see any Neve™ components in there.

I have friends with 1272's, one blue and one black, and they have Carnhills in them.  Dont' know for sure the vintages of each.

I also looked inside another friend's Vintech 273 (2-channel unit with basic EQ), and the iron was totally different.  Definitely not anything like any Carnhill I've ever seen.  Inputs were under what looked like mu-metal shields that completely covered the device (I didn't remove this to take a look at the inputs themselves).  These covers weren't big enough to house a Carnhill input.  And the outputs looked more like something Altran would make.  I've actually had Carnhill make some custom outputs for me that lacked the red varnish and the pinboard (had wire leads instead), and the bracket that held it all together was very different than was is used to construct the outputs in the Vintech 273, so no, I don't think they're using Carnhills now.

Haven't looked into other Vintech models, however.

If your friend's 1272 was an early one (up to a couple of years ago) it should be Carnhill iron in there, but if it's more recent, it might have iron similar to what they're sticking in the 273.

Hope that is helpful to you.

JC

Skylar said:

Is that 600R resistors on the LO1166s? I assume the Zoebel termination is on the PCB then (I think I can see it nearby).

Look like nice units to me parts-wise.

Skylar said:
No markings. It looks like there used to be white paper labels on the input XFs, but they've been peeled off.

I believe the OEM Carnhills are Green and the parts market versions are Blue.  Vintech should really change their front panel screens to say, "Made with British Components" or even, "Made with Neve-style Components".  How do they sleep at night? 

Probably on beds, with pillows and blankets. 

Skylar said:

The ones in my Audix 35102 are hammered green.

One I saw was hammered green, and clearly used original iron.    I guess they never changed the silk screen....

Anyone with one at hand again?
I'd like to see the DI wiring again!

Seems like a friend told me the DI sounds amazing....

Jorge Aristondo.

Seems like the DI goes directly after the input transformer before the attenuator...
So no DI buffer at all?

Jorge.

Back