TubeCAD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to feel like that, but then again I use a number of his software...

I just got it in the mail yesterday along with the SE amp CAD.

Now I feel like a kid with blocks. Friggin cool. I just lost/gained 2 hrs playing with sliders.

I wish my granddad could have lived to see the this world he helped develop...

Gush gush gush

BH

> I just lost/gained 2 hrs playing with sliders.

Long-run: it takes 20 hours to discover what you could have learned in 10 hours on the breadboard, or 1 hour plagiarizing tube-manuals and competing products.

And your mouse-arm hurts.

>it takes 20 hours to discover what you could have learned in 10 hours on the breadboard, or 1 hour plagiarizing tube-manuals and competing products.
...or 40 hours searching for the right PRR post.  :p

I've no doubt learned more from reading PRR than from everything else combined.  My #1 source of brain candy.  I really like TubeCad.  The only problem I've had with it is that it tends to forget scenarios when I save more than 2 at a time.  I have verified it's results time and again on my breadboard.  I treat TubeCad like my classroom and my breadboard like lab time.  All of this has helped me move beyond blindly sticking various Leo Fender circuits together like leggos. 

IMO, you need a mix of stealing circuits, guru advice, software, and breadboarding.  My last project was a preamp/headphone amp.  I stole from Morgan Jones, was advised by PRR, explored in TubeCad, and experimented on my breadboard until my heart was content.  The experiment looked like this:
BPP-01.jpg

and the prototype looks like this:
BPP-05.jpg

The finished prototype worked right away.  My only issue was a milling error.  Someday I'll learn to read a tape measure all on my own.

I'm gonna stay +1 on the TubeCad.  It's by no means the sole solution to the learning experience, but much can be gained from clicking around it's variables.

Awesome breadboard!

I have read a lot, but to have all of the mathematics move in real time helps it come together, like a picture is worth a 1000 cliches. However there is no substitute for experimentation. Hence the bitchin breadboard above. I am remodeling my studio to have actual workspace and a breadboard like that is high on the list.

And completing projects is the best! I want to take my building from the ready-made level to the design level; to be able to take vintage iron and design circuits around it. Unique one-off P2P audio art.

Sometimes I will just search for PRR posts, just for reading...

Speaking of which, PRR- what do you think of John Broskie's designs?

Thanks-
BH

> what do you think of John Broskie's designs?

He's smart.

I am very tickled by two lines from this recent post:

"...imagine walking into an electronic store and asking for a negative 9V battery and being given an off-the-shelf 9V battery. You complain, telling the salesman that the battery is clearly a positive 9V battery and that you need a -9V battery. The old-timer barely contains his chuckle as he tells you that you are holding the battery wrong, that if you hold it the other way around, it becomes a negative 9V battery."

and:

"in the dark, all resistors are 100k."

I was really enjoying load line calcs and would use TubeCad to make sure I was in the right ballpark.
Plotting loadlines is much "cooler" and fun.

Back