Cascade Fathead Ribbon mic. Thoughts? Is it worth $180? Any mods?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

I just ordered a Cascade Fat Head ribbon mic. I had heard good things about the mic. I just received it today. I don't have my Digi 001 here though so I have no way of listening to it up until mid next week.

I'm curious what people think about this mic. Is it decent? Good for guitar cabs?

Any mods to make it even better? I noticed the grill has a few layers and is hard to see through. I'd imagine tearing some of that out would help clear sound reproduction???

thanks!

You don't really want go tearing away the grill.  It provides protection for the ribbon.  I've got one and tossed a Cinemag transformer in it.  I wouldn't call the difference night and day, but it's definite improvement.  If you order the Cinemag you must specify no shielding.  Otherwise it will not fit it inside.  My friend and former co-worker learned this the hard way. 

The Fat Head is no AEA or Coles, but it's a damn useful mic for the money.  Hell of a room mic.

I have two Fathead IIs that I use as drums overheads and for horns.
I use a different ribbon mic for guitar cabs (American R331), but I'm certain the Fatheads would work well in that situation.

I absolutely love them.

I bought them as a matched pair with Lundahl transformers pre-installed.

I can't tell you what they sound like with the stock transformers, but with Lundahls I think they're fantastic.

I'm sure you can't go wrong with Cinemag or Lundahl.

I also would not recommend altering the grille assembly.

I have a Fathead and also put a cinemag in it great mic for the price , I use it a lot.
Almost sold it once for the cash Soooo glad I didn't

To be honest, usually, I ask those kind of questions before buying such a personal thing as a microphone. Moreover, I'd never spend even $10 for a mic before I audiotion it first... just to see if suits my applications.

Best, M

Marik said:
To be honest, usually, I ask those kind of questions before buying such a personal thing as a microphone. Moreover, I'd never spend even $10 for a mic before I audiotion it first... just to see if suits my applications.

Best, M

True... but many times you cannot audition something. As a guitar builder, I sell custom built guitars. They're not in many stores. Most people order based on reviews. They've got a guarantee on my work. But they order based on faith and research.

Now for me... Cascade. I don't believe a Cascade dealer is anywhere near where I'm at.

So, same thing. I've ordered based on faith and reviews. If I don't like it, I can always ebay it I suppose.

FH II with Lundahl transformers stood up equal to an original RCA 44B mic in a voice and piano test.  The FH had more extended highs and lows.  You could do punch-ins with either one on a track started with the other and probably never notice.  Friend had a stock model and put the Lundahls in himself.  Claimed it was an obvious improvement and more than worth the difference.  Anything so cheap in the first place has to show improvements from quality iron addition. 

emrr said:
FH II with Lundahl transformers stood up equal to an original RCA 44B mic in a voice and piano test.  The FH had more extended highs and lows.  You could do punch-ins with either one on a track started with the other and probably never notice.   Friend had a stock model and put the Lundahls in himself.   Claimed it was an obvious improvement and more than worth the difference.  Anything so cheap in the first place has to show improvements from quality iron addition. 
interesting. do you know the specific lundahl transformer that your friend used? did he use the LL2912?

777funk said:
Marik said:

Best, M

Most people order based on reviews...  I've ordered based on faith and reviews. If I don't like it, I can always ebay it I suppose.

I think it is a very good point about ebay.
As for the reviews, IMO it is the same as to review a girl. After a spent night with her one would think she is awsome, while another would say she is utterly boring. The trick is nobody would ever know the fact that first reviewer in fact, before was a virgin...
Would you ever consider getting wife, based on reviews?

Best, M

Are Cascade Fat Head ribbons also from that same "universal" Chinese subcontractor as all these other misc. branded Chinese ribbons around?

like this for example: http://www.thomann.de/fi/the_tbone_rm700.htm

It was not clear from their website.

Marik said:
777funk said:
Marik said:

Best, M

Most people order based on reviews...  I've ordered based on faith and reviews. If I don't like it, I can always ebay it I suppose.

I think it is a very good point about ebay.
As for the reviews, IMO it is the same as to review a girl. After a spent night with her one would think she is awsome, while another would say she is utterly boring. The trick is nobody would ever know the fact that first reviewer in fact, before was a virgin...
Would you ever consider getting wife, based on reviews?

Best, M

True, and true... but mics and wives are a little different. You can pitch the mic. Some would say you can pitch the wife. That's also true... but one has less consequences than the other.  ;D

I'm married and happily so thank God. Not pitching my wife anytime soon. Also, I think ignorance is bliss in the partner reviews dept. I heard people say test drive before you buy. I think that's only testing one area. Of course a spouse much more complex than picking a microphone. But just a night with a girl is oversimplifying in a big way. Though it may be a fun night, it's no reflection on what life with a person will be like. And in the end it's satisfaction is short lived. A good relationship with trust and true love is what makes a good man/woman relationship. Then the other areas are good as well!

That's my opinion and I think it's fact too. But not everyone will agree with me I know. But I do think it is right.

But mics... yeah, like 'em or leave 'em! No commitment! Someone else will love it if I don't!

Latest posts

Back