New DIY project coming up - The Speaker Saver

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis

Hi Chaps,

I was getting sick of hearing my sub go WHUMP every time I switched it on, so I decided to whip up a simple speaker muting circuit that would leave my sub disconnected from the amp for a second or two after power-up, and disconnect it straight away on power-down.  Here's the result:

SS1.jpg

SS2.jpg

I also added a DC detection circuit to it which disconnects the speaker in the event of the amp's output stage dying and applying hard DC to the speaker terminals.  Basically it's a self-contained single channel speaker protection and muting circuit designed to retrofit into just about any solid state power amp up to a couple hundred watts per channel (depending on the relay used).  Changing a couple of resistors will make it run universally off the amp's internal power rails.

I'm aiming to do an "everything" PDF for it - schematic, PCB etch pattern, BOM, construction details - for those of you who'd like to build one.  Stay tuned.

you'd think with your skills you could make some
money doing this , but then again it can be a rough biz

nice work  , again !

Back